Need help with flywheel timing marks

Started by veggie, June 26, 2023, 03:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

Does anyone speak (or read) Manderin?
The flywheel on my Changfa 195 has 3 markings.
I would like to know what the markings mean so that I can confirm the injector timing.
The manual says to rotate the engine on the compression cycle until the "mark"  (does not say which mark) lines with the notch in the water hopper and that will equal the required 18 deg. BTC.

Well ... mine has 3 marks, and mine does not have a hopper cooler, it has a factory radiator with no notches or markings.  :-[

I have attached these pictures in case anyone can help identify the rotational degree values of these symbols.

<Click on the pictures to enlarge>

Tom Reed

At this point, the only way to be sure is to remove the injector and use a dial indicator to find TDC. This might be more difficult on a pre-combustion chambered head. Once you find that, we can work on the calculation to see how many inches away 18 deg is on a flywheel of your diameter.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

keith71

Hi veggie.  Cannot help with the chinese symbols but here are the timing marks on my jiangdong R170. I know you have a 195 but I just posted these pics as a reference for you maybe? The flywheel has 9 timing marks in total. I just realized my white arrow of direction is wrong. It should be pointing the other way. Sorry about that..

The 30 degree mark at the far left would be 30 BTDC.. Also the marks are exactly 12mm  or 0.472''  apart. Also the diameter of the flywheel is 9.625'' . Hope this helps a bit..

Kubota D722
10HP Diesel Air cooled 186fa yanmar clone                                                         
12/2   Field Marshall CS Lister clone
 R170 Jiangdong  (needs some work)

Tom Reed

I remembered a quick and dirty way to easily find TDC is to look at the overlap on the valves. When both are at their max open perhaps one of the marks will align with something.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

veggie

Keith, thanks for the pics and explanation.

Tom, my engine is a Direct Injection, so removing the injector to find TDC may be the answer.
Also, your suggestion of moving the piston to TDC and finding the spot where both valves clearances "rock" between before/after TDC is useful.

cheers

mobile_bob

the best method that i know of is the following

remove the cylinder head, and make a bracket and stop bolt that the piston can contact when rotated toward top dead center

rotate slowly until contact is made, and note the pointer mark at the flywheel

rotate the opposite direction until the piston comes around and makes contact again,  and note the pointer mark on the flywheel.

then divide the two marks in half, that is the actual top dead center.

if it were me, i would do as above, with a pointer of my choosing, then when i find tdc i would mark the flywheel to correspond with my pointer.

then using a tape measure, measure the circumference of the flywheel. divide that number in inches (i prefer those units) by 360 and you then have the amount 1 degree is in inch units or fractions thereof.

then it is a simple matter of multiplying by 18 degrees and measure advance of the tdc mark by that amount and mark the flywheel.

if i wanted more marks i would simply mark for each degree, maybe  a couple degrees one way or another.

with a direct injection engine you can do the same thing you just have to make a top stop for the piston that fits  down the injector bore and contacts the piston.

from memory (which i have slept a night or to since '07-'09 when i was working on my s195idi engine) my flywheel had all sorts of marks that may well make sense to some fellow in china. having removed the water hopper i put a piece of hanger wire to make a pointer and sorted it out from there, and marked tdc to my liking.

fwiw

bob g

Henry W

Quote from: veggie on June 26, 2023, 03:04:45 PMDoes anyone speak (or read) Manderin?
The flywheel on my Changfa 195 has 3 markings.
I would like to know what the markings mean so that I can confirm the injector timing.
The manual says to rotate the engine on the compression cycle until the "mark"  (does not say which mark) lines with the notch in the water hopper and that will equal the required 18 deg. BTC.

Well ... mine has 3 marks, and mine does not have a hopper cooler, it has a factory radiator with no notches or markings.  :-[

I have attached these pictures in case anyone can help identify the rotational degree values of these symbols.

<Click on the pictures to enlarge>

Veggie,
On the Kubota EA,EB and EL series engines built with a radiator, Kubota put timing marks on the safety cage. Most wouldn't even notice them if they don't know what they're looking for. Here is a snapshot from the Kubota shop manual.

You cannot view this attachment.

Henry W

On your picture below it shows a flywheel rotation of clockwise when facing the flywheel. Is that correct?

You cannot view this attachment.

veggie

Good catch Henry, the arrow is incorrect.
Rotation is counter clockwise facing the flywheel.

My guess is that mark #1 is TDC and mark #2 is 18 degrees before.

I will confirm by removing the injector someday.