My "perky\cat/volvo" DC bat charger

Started by Lloyd, February 18, 2010, 04:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd

Hi all,

If you don't know by now...Volvo has also badged the little Shibaura both in the 2 cylinder, and the 3 cylinder. Currently the 2 is known as D1-13, and the 3 is D1-30, previously the MD2010, and MD2020/MD2030.

Lloyd

A peek at my perk/cats

Volvo manicooler for the D1-13F

Another  manicooler shot

A volvo gear driven sae water pump

The above images convert this co=gen to a Perk\cat/Volvo

Flywheel drive from NC Cat Nebraska, from a big-rig APU

gate tenisoner also from NC Cat
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

mobile_bob

lots of nice looking hardware you have there!

perhaps had i not made some many bad decision regarding women early in life, i would be working with some better stuff too!

:)

should be a nice setup once you get it all coming together.

that pulley looks like a japanese car front rotor, doesn't it?

bob g

rbodell

Quote from: mobile_bob on February 18, 2010, 06:34:06 PM
perhaps had i not made some many bad decision regarding women early in life, i would be working with some better stuff too!
bob g
I know where you are coming from. About the time I got my x wife trained to know her place, she up and left.

Never could figure why she left me.

I am looking forward to senility,
you meet so many new friends
every day.

rbodell

Quote from: Lloyd on February 18, 2010, 06:49:38 PM
Bob,

I have a few ugly women stories, nothing like trying to swim with an anchor for a necklace.
Lloyd

My x was pretty good on the boat. She was slow at learning how to anchor the boat though. After I made her tie the end of the anchor line around her ankle a few times, she learned how to use the Samson post to slow sown the boat as it drifted back on the anchor.

Never could understand why she left me.
I am looking forward to senility,
you meet so many new friends
every day.

Horsepoor

Interesting 8 rib flywheel, could you provide details on part number and/or web site please.

Lloyd

Well my AC Alternator landed today, from KEI out of Dallas,Tx

It is a custom wound, as part of my remote rectifier mount. I'm expecting about 225 amps 14.5 volts dc, transferred on 8/3 shielded conductor to the three phase torrid transformer/rectifier 40 feet away.

It's just about time ti start construction on this project..just waiting on the trans/rec.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

Lloyd

Lloyd

mobile_bob

nice looking alternator you got there, but i have a question as to its ability to drive a transformer/ rectifier pack

it looks to be wound with very heavy wire, and few turns, which tells me it will have to spin in the range of 5krpm
to make ~12vac?

weren't they supposed to wind it for higher voltage so you could transport it via the 8/3 the 40 ft and then step down
and rectify with the transformer/rectifier pack?

can you estimate the stator turns per pole, it looks like maybe 4 or 5 turns of very heavy guage wire?

maybe i am not seeing it right in the pics?

it looks like it will make the 225amps at 14.4 just the way it is,without a stepdown transformer?

bob g

Lloyd

Hi Bob,

I don't have the numbers from the growler yet....but our target voltage was 130 volts phase to phase at 5500rpm. With a final output of 225 amps hot, into the bat bank.

He will email the open voltage and the load voltages/amps on Monday, he ran the machine on the growler at 4, 5, 55, 6k rpm. Once I get that info i will forward that to my trans/rec builder.

I haven't opened the machine yet, so I don't know how many windings.

But remember, he will ship me  up to 2 more stators free until I get the numbers I'm after. That is part of our contract...maybe a moving R&D...but I have to tell you so far my dealings with this company have been great...so I'm expecting the best.

It is wye connected, as you can see by the the AC studs on the back....it can be reconnected as delta

Lloyd

Lloyd

Also forgot to note, that I have a friend that manages a plastics vacuform company...he is building a shroud that will connect to the the back of the alt, this will be connected by ducts to a seawater to air heatX, w/temp sensed pancake fans as a sort of turbo cooling.

Lloyd

Lloyd

Quote from: mobile_bob on April 16, 2010, 07:08:57 PM
nice looking alternator you got there, but i have a question as to its ability to drive a transformer/ rectifier pack

it looks to be wound with very heavy wire, and few turns, which tells me it will have to spin in the range of 5krpm
to make ~12vac?

I believe its 11 guage

Quoteweren't they supposed to wind it for higher voltage so you could transport it via the 8/3 the 40 ft and then step down
and rectify with the transformer/rectifier pack?

can you estimate the stator turns per pole, it looks like maybe 4 or 5 turns of very heavy guage wire?

maybe i am not seeing it right in the pics?

Well I just peered into the back with a light, and near as i can count it  looks about 12 + per pole windings

Quoteit looks like it will make the 225amps at 14.4 just the way it is,without a stepdown transformer?

there is no on board rectifier, it only makes 3 phase AC. My torrid/rec will be a stepdown 4 torrids to rectifier, also rectifying the neutral.
Lloyd

mobile_bob

i saw it had no rectifiers and also figured it to be wye connected because they brought out the neutral connection,
which was a good move.

11 gauge wire?  i am almost certain you can't get that many turns in a slot?

i am really looking forward to your phase to phase voltage on that unit, i just can't see it making 130vac phase to phase

but i can't see much from the picks, this should be a very interesting project indeed
and i look forward to your reports

thanks
bob g

Lloyd

Hey Professor,

I'm more than happy to drive this alt down to you with a brand new Balmar 612, if you have a way to bolt it up to your system. Along with any desire to do some testing for your own. I won't likely have the rectifier for about 3-4 weeks so it's just going to sit...until I get the rectifier.

It's unlikely I would be qualified to test it to your level. My testing is going to be hook it up and start charging my 750 bank. I'm not set up to run calcs for fuel load and electrical efficiency. I will draw my bank down to a 40% state of charge and just see how many amps this will feed back to the bank during bulk charge...with my goal of 225 amps. If it doesn't hit the marks I will give the results to KEI and they'll send a modified stator...and we run it again until it hits the marks.

Lloyd

Lloyd