Onan DN2M 2 cylinder diesel from Generator - Questions

Started by Westcliffe01, July 16, 2022, 04:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westcliffe01

Folks, some time ago I bought an ONAN DN2M that was sealed in a crate, preservative - no oil, apparently never run.  Ill attach some pictures.  The major issue I have is that in the generator application, the starter ring gear was attached to the rotor of the generator.  Getting a flywheel seems to be a major problem and if I could get one, it would likely cost more than what I paid for the engine itself.  If I could find a ring gear then I could probably have a flywheel made locally considering how much Lister Petter are asking for parts.

Anyone been in a similar position ?

You cannot view this attachment.

Bought 36 acres in Custer County Colorado.  Now to build the retirement home/shop

Westcliffe01

Below is one such listing with part numbers.  $867 for a 2 cylinder flywheel ?   I just bought a CrMo flywheel for a Honda R18 for $65....
Bought 36 acres in Custer County Colorado.  Now to build the retirement home/shop

Henry W

That is crazy. I've seen a surplus engine somewhere. I'll PM you if I can find it.

Westcliffe01

There are some on ebay right now, but equally without flywheel.... Probably the lowest price diesel you can buy today and they have a qty of them.

Henry W

That is the same ad I've found. Possibly Adelmans might know a source to get a flywheel.

Westcliffe01

In military form, given the fact that they were exclusively used for generators, they never needed a flywheel.  So it is no surprise that none of the surplus engines ever had a flywheel on them.  Not one I have seen ever had a flywheel.  The flywheel has to come from civilian Lister Petter inventory and they seem to think they are made of gold...  That by itself makes me not want to integrate it into any serious project...