Anyone know if parts are available for a Kubota EL300-AR diesel engine?

Started by Jesse McB, March 11, 2017, 02:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse McB

Hello everyone!

I have a good chance to buy a Kubota EL300-AR 4.5hp diesel engine alternator generator, below is a photo. I will be meeting up this monday with the seller to help him get it started for a test run. Its needs fuel, fuel line bleeding, coolant and a battery to start it which i have.  ;D It hasn't been run in a few years and its never been used much but its dusty so mayby i can lower his asking price some more  8) Its purpose was for the arrow traffic signs for construction workers. I want to look over it throughly before i buy it to make sure its a healthy engine. But hes selling it for a very fair price! Only $350 CAD!! But im not sure were to get parts for these engines, Anyone know if parts are available for a Kubota EL300-AR diesel engine?
"There's nothing like the off grid isolated feeling"

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

mike90045

IF the bore is rusty, it would disqualify it for me.   I don't know if you can drain the oil to look for water in it.

vdubnut62

If the bore is rusted badly enough to hurt, I think it would show up in low compression, so would sticking valves.  Check the oil the very first thing, before you turn it over, and then again after. There will be white milky stuff on the dipstick, usually close the top of the tube, if there  is an appreciable amount of water. I would be concerned about a sticking or stuck injector pump. Turn it by hand s l o w l y before you try electric start. Abnormal resistance before you hit compression is not good.
I hear parts are available from Kubota dealers, but expensive.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Jesse McB

Thanks for your opions guys! I appreciate it!

Ok today i bought the diesel engine! Me and my brother went halfs on it. I did the inspection of the engine, checked the rotation of the engine and it is smooth with no odd noises or feels. I turned the flywheel over by hand with decompression off. I checked the oil its clean and still partly clear. The engine has only 11 hours on it which is what the owner said, the hour meter says 11 hours. It was a generator used for a hunting camp but only used a few times till they got a noise complaint  ;D So they switched to a 2000 watt Honda inverter generator and put this one away. I looked at the air cleaner and it still looks brand new! So the engine started rite up after a quick line bleeding! Runs perfect!! It still has its original oil soi  am to replace that riteaway before using this generator! ! I will Post a youtube video tonite of it running.

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

Jesse McB

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

Jesse McB

This engine is really small! Wieghts 120 pounds with alternator! About 2 feet long, This is a mini S195 diesel, its got 2 counter balancing shafts, and runs at 2000 rpm max speed for 4.5 hp. So this will run at 1500rpm all day long! Its got a glow plug aswell! And a key ingition  ;D

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

vdubnut62

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Jesse McB

Lol!!  ;D i just got back from work took off my jacket and boots, then turned around and i saw it just sitting there i literally forgot about it all day long while at work!   :) first thought is wow what a good find! Im cleaning her up right now as i type this. My girlfriend wants it cleaned and wiped down asap lol. And im glad to do so! Im going to do a semi restoration on the paint by getting a matching colour and blend it in. I have a video made lastnite but its to dark but ill post it anyways to hear it run, its going as slow as it can run in the video 8)

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

veggie

Nice find !

Those are excellent engines.
Looking forward to the video(s)

Veggie

Jesse McB

https://youtu.be/PKSV_I9KSlU

Heres the video, its not the best but it works for now! I will have to make another video when i find something to load the alternator! During the video i attempt to start it but the wires were loose on the batterys terminals and glowed hot so i stopped starting it lol I may bring it out to my girlfriends parents place they live outside the city then I can test it for real!!!  8 ;D

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

Jesse McB

I got a email back from suppliers in florida they say parts are still avaible for this engine so thats good! Plus i notice parts on Ebay  ;D

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

Thob

I've gotten good service from Messick's in the past.  They sell parts for Kubota tractors, so you may have to call them at first to find parts for your engine since the online lookup is based on tractor model number, not engine model.

www.messicks.com
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

thomasonw

I was able to purchase parts for our Kubota EA-300 a couple of years ago,  but the life of me can not find the link...    I think if you locate an industrial engine supplier (not a tractor supplier), you could purchase parts locally, I know several years ago I was able to find them at a supply house in Portland.

If you ever want to pimp out your DC generator, check out:  http://smartdcgenerator.blogspot.com/,  we crosses the 1,000 hour mark sometime last year and so enjoy the variable speed nature - lets me FULLY recharge the batteries every once and a while, without having to listen to the noise..   Going to do a re-fresh of the controller design this fall as well.