Perkins 402C-05, 402D-05 and Cat C0.5 Flywheel face measurements

Started by Henry W, October 24, 2009, 10:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

This writing pertains to the Perkins 402C-05, 402D-05 and Cat C0.5 engines made for APU's sold from Surplus Center and other places.

I have one of the Cat / Perkins flywheels in work and am waiting for the CMM to be free so we can get the complete flywheel face measured.

I was told that there are 3 differant flywheels for these engines from Cat.

I thought the flywheel on my Cat / Perkins was a SAE 6-1/2 pattern but I found out it's not. ::)

Be careful and don't assume you have a certain pattern (like I did). It could be wrong.

As soon as I get the measurements I will post them.

Henry

Henry W

We have some accurate flywheel measurements from a CMM!!!

Here they are:

Flywheel Size: 220mm O.D.

Outer bolt and dowel pin circle: 192mm.
Bolt #1 @ 0 deg
Dowel Pin #1 @ 60 deg
Bolt #2 @ 120 deg
Dowel Pin # 2 @ 180 deg
Bolt #3 @ 240 deg
Dowel Pin #3 @ 300 deg
Dowel Pin holes are drilled for 8mm Dowel Pins.
Bolt Holes are tapped M10-1.5

Inner bolt circle: 100mm.
3 bolts @ 120 deg. apart
Bolt Holes are tapped M10-1.5.

Counter Bore for a boss: 135.083mm.
I would say 135mm would be fine. (It is only 0.0032 inch under)
Counter Bore depth 3mm

Flywheel Pilot Bushing Bore 25.30mm (.996in)

Henry

lowspeedlife

Nice looking "piece of kit"!, as our friends across the pond would say. Seems as you should be about to assemble the pieces, can't wait to see the results.

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age

Henry W

Hello Scott,

I am putting the pieces together. I hope to get it running some time during the first of the year. I will be taking pictures along the way.

Henry

flywheel

Henry,  Thanks for taking the time to measure the flywheel.  It appears Shibaura engines ( Cat & Perkins ) do use the same flywheel on the APU engines.   
                                                     flywheel
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

Henry W

Hello Flywheel,

Your welcome. Yes It looks like Cat, Perkins and Shibaura all use the same flywheel on the APU engines.

Henry

Henry W

Here is the Cat/Perkins 402C-05 flat faced flywheel print.
Perkins sent it to me Friday.

Henry

Horsepoor

I also bought one of tho CATlast year tagging this tread to make a decision on a stub shaft or whatever seems to work well. Please advise if anyone found a stub shaft that bolts to the flywheel and if you use a pillow block bearing. 

Henry W

I don't know of any comercial Stub Shafts available at this time. But I do know of serpentine pulleys that mount to the flywheel.

Henry

Henry W