News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Super safe t front terminals

Started by Hinomotorhome, July 05, 2016, 01:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinomotorhome

Hi I'm new to this forum so I hope I can get some advice, I bought 2x 190 amp hr ex Telstra super safe t front terminals to use as our battery bank in the motorhome I'm converting, I want to locate them under the bed connected to a redarc BC DC charger which will be connected to the 24v motorhome batteries for charging when mobile, the literature I have read makes me think that they will be OK for what I want any advice would be appreciated when it comes to this sort of thing I am clueless thanks danny

mike90045

Welcome.
Not sure this is the right place for the best answers for your questions, but I'll try.

1) all sales literature proves that only THEIR battery is suitable for your use. No matter who.
Never heard of Telstra super safe, and that search on google shows up investment funds.  And found a thread about
surplus telecom batteries.   Telecom backup batteries are only good for a couple dozen cycles, they are only made to
be used a few times, but have super long float life.

2) I'd suggest starting at the free website http://batteryuniversity.com/ and locate the style/technology of your battery
(lead-acid, lithium, NiCad) and read up about it and it's usage
also look at http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html  for battery connection information.

3) Safety.    You need to understand how the immense amount of power stored in a typical car battery can cause a fire or explosion, either internally or externally.
Learn something about wire size, overheating wires and fuses.   Many good arc welder machines use LoVoltage DC - just like from a battery, and a typical automotive fuse
wont interrupt a massive short on a large wire, it can just become an explosive ball of plasma.

Yes, I am trying to scare you, precisely because you are clueless about the amount of damage 2 of these large batteries can initiate, even with a name of supersafe.
Car and motorcycle batteries can and will continue to explode, and the wrong style of fuse and wire can burn too.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0aik5Stp4g

So read up some, there is great info at Battery University which should help you a lot.

Hinomotorhome

Hi Mike thanks for reply, these aren't Telstra batteries just taken out of their facilities which they do when they replace them, and the info I have suggests used properly the have plenty of life left, these batteries are valve regulated lead acid  batteries suitable for all sorts of application it's just that I've not seen the specific use in a motorhome, I will  check the website you suggested I got a lot of the info from www.enersys.com, but as I don't understand what I'm reading I was hoping someone may be using these batteries or something similar thanks again Danny

BruceM

There is another issue to consider.  If you must locate the batteries and inverter/charger under a bed, make sure you provide disconnect switches, easily accessible, to turn off both the charger and inverter when someone is going to be using that bed or sitting area.  In close proximity the inverter-charger unit is massive EMF exposure and can lead to some serious health problems.  I personally knew a middle aged woman who had her health destroyed by exactly this situation in a lovely 5th wheel RV she and her husband were living in while building a spec home; the inverter-charger unit was directly under the only seating area.  She died after 10 years of illness and misery. My ELF magnetic field meter was pegged (over 100 milligauss) even outside the trailer.  She did have a several years period of significant recovery after it was removed.  These types of exposures, even at much lower levels, seem to act as cancer accelerators. This is an "emerging" health issue that is only just beginning to be recognized, and so is largely ridiculed and ignored by most doctors.