News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

new power storage gizmo

Started by billswan, February 26, 2016, 05:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billswan

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ericclifton/orison-rethink-the-power-of-energy

Just found this and am in no way promoting it. Just looked like something the group might like to check out.

Moderator might have to modify this as when the kickstarter campaign is over the link might fail.

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

vdubnut62

How does it keep from backfeeding the grid, when supposedly one just plugs it in? ???
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

Yeah.  Like Ron says.

Flipping a circuit breaker seems pretty drastic.  And popping circuit breakers isn't really good for them.

But this is the same question I have for Tesla battery units.

Casey

Don't get worried Ron, I promise not to agree with you for at least three months.

buickanddeere

It's on a timer. The batteries charge during the lowest rates . Then discharge through the inverter during the highest electrical rates. Most people are confused by the advertising which erroneously alludes to providing backup power during utility outages .
   The primary use is to have something cool to show visitors to your home.

BruceM

I agree B&D, it's a triumph of marketing over reality.  Note no battery technology or life listed.  I doubt you'd ever recoup your ongoing battery replacement investment.

vdubnut62

Quote from: LowGear on February 26, 2016, 11:30:13 AM
Yeah.  Like Ron says.

Flipping a circuit breaker seems pretty drastic.  And popping circuit breakers isn't really good for them.

But this is the same question I have for Tesla battery units.

Casey

Don't get worried Ron, I promise not to agree with you for at least three months.

Promises, promises. ;)
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

QuoteIt's on a timer.

I still don't get it.  Do you need a meter that runs backwards too?

This is also like the Tesla wall battery.  It delivers 120 volts - only.  You want 240 - Buy two.

For those of you that enjoy the variable rate structure.  How much does the rate change from high to low?  A dime would mean you could save ten cents per day as a function of how many KW it stores.

So why isn't there a maximum of power when the timer comes on and in a few minutes the storage device would be drained out?

Casey

Thob

There are places nearby me that have "free nights and weekends".  The rate per KWH actually is zero on nights and weekends.  I've thought about getting an inverter and battery set and signing up, but the rural co-op that I'm on doesn't offer it.

Their little gizmo claims to store 2.2 KWH of power, or about $0.25 worth at my rate.  I don't think it's going to do me much good.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

LowGear

free.

Free.

FREE!

How many loads of laundry can you do in a free day?  How many hot water tanks can you fit into the basement?  How much is that hydrogen generator?

Tesla has a bunch of these things pre-sold.  I just read they're 6.4 KW, cost is projected to be $3,000 but are DC and require a compatible inverter.

Casey

buickanddeere

Quote from: Thob on February 27, 2016, 05:51:38 PM
There are places nearby me that have "free nights and weekends".  The rate per KWH actually is zero on nights and weekends.  I've thought about getting an inverter and battery set and signing up, but the rural co-op that I'm on doesn't offer it.

Their little gizmo claims to store 2.2 KWH of power, or about $0.25 worth at my rate.  I don't think it's going to do me much good.

The lithium battery will have a max rating of 2.2Kw but..............................that is 0-100% operation range. The software will likely operate 15-90% or so, to extend battery service life and reduce heating.

BruceM

It's always about the ongoing battery replacement cost... and that's why smart off grid folks do so much to reduce their energy needs. PV power is relatively cheap, but the batteries, ouch.  The grid tie folks are dodging that monkey.  The big battery breakthrough is always just around the corner, for the last 50 years.

Tom Reed

Yup, we have a 48 kw battery bank in the basement that cost $8k in 2007. It looks like they will out last the 10 year warranty, but if we get 14 years out of them its still $47 a month.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

BruceM

Tom, it seems you've done very well by your batteries.  Battery life is all about proper charging and DOD.

Plenty of folks can't really adapt well to off grid and chew up batteries pretty quick by deep cycling.  I know one couple that has a very large PV/48V Battery Bank system, but actually run a 1500 watt AC powered water distiller on it every day (!), and have an electric glow bar type gas stove, self defrosting monster refrigerator, etc., etc.  I couldn't afford their battery bill. 

My ongoing battery bill is $17 a month using (10) Walmart/Johnson Controls Marine Deep cycle batteries in my 120VDC battery bank. My current (second) set is just wrapping up it's 5th winter.  I've got one battery with a bad (shorted) cell, but by turning that battery's shunt regulator down 2 volts, I keep the other cells going just fine. I can afford to lose 2V.   I'll replace the set next fall.  Summers are a vacation for the battery bank, even when I do more electric cooking they are still in float all day. 

LowGear

Quotebut by turning that battery's shunt regulator down 2 volts
What's a shunt regulator?

Casey

Tom Reed

Quote from: BruceM on February 28, 2016, 07:36:58 PM
Tom, it seems you've done very well by your batteries.  Battery life is all about proper charging and DOD.

Plenty of folks can't really adapt well to off grid and chew up batteries pretty quick by deep cycling.  I know one couple that has a very large PV/48V Battery Bank system, but actually run a 1500 watt AC powered water distiller on it every day (!), and have an electric glow bar type gas stove, self defrosting monster refrigerator, etc., etc.  I couldn't afford their battery bill. 

My ongoing battery bill is $17 a month using (10) Walmart/Johnson Controls Marine Deep cycle batteries in my 120VDC battery bank. My current (second) set is just wrapping up it's 5th winter.  I've got one battery with a bad (shorted) cell, but by turning that battery's shunt regulator down 2 volts, I keep the other cells going just fine. I can afford to lose 2V.   I'll replace the set next fall.  Summers are a vacation for the battery bank, even when I do more electric cooking they are still in float all day. 

Check on the glow bar oven and the fridge (minus the monster size). We have a 3.4kw pv array and rarely go over 50% DOD with a typical overnight DOD of 15-17%. There is some apparent degradation on our batteries as when new the charge amps would drop to 14 when full, now it's up to 23. And the generator does not have enough output to equalize the bank now so it needs to be done on a sunny day with the pv and generator combined.

I was dissapointed to find the Tesla batteries output 450vdc which rules them out for our 48vdc system. Although it looks like a LiFePo bank could be built for around the same $.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom