News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Batterie bank setup?

Started by Honda lee, November 21, 2013, 01:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Honda lee

Hey all need some advice on batterie bank setup, I have a 48v system and I have 2 charge controllers outback flexmax 80 and 40 amp .
I have 24ea 12v  100ah agm batteries and I want the best way to set them up ie one big bank of 48 v or split them into multiple banks?
And any pros and cons of either. Thanks for any info

mike90045

That would give you 6 parallel banks of 4 batteries.
 At least AGM does not stratify, so you don't need a minimum charge rate to stir the 600ah pot.

the "best" would be 2 totally separate banks of 3 strings, tied with buss bars and identical cable sets. Run one for a week,
shut the system down, and switch to the other bank and run it for a week.  The batteries will likely expire within 10 years of
their manufacture date, and then you buy more - but just one bank.

read up on wireing parallel strings and the pitfalls.    x3 for the low resistance of AGM cells, and you really have a problem keeping all the resistance down bellow the cells internal resistance.

Parallel cells link:
http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Better would be to get 2V,  4V or 6V AGM and keep it one series string.  Series all current is equal throughout the system.

BruceM

I concur with Mike.

Parallel used AGMs are going to fail fast.  AGMs won't tolerate the liberal and frequent amount of equalization charging needed for parallel strings.  And you have no way of monitoring individual cells via specific gravity. 

Honda lee