News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Hurricane Ian is causing havoc.

Started by Henry W, September 30, 2022, 04:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

Hurricane Ian is causing havoc. I was sitting down transferring data to the new cell phone and the lights went out while hearing a loud deep humming noise. The humming noise happened three times and then everything went silent. It could have been a transformer at the sub station got overloaded or shorted out. Everything is fine here. The small Yamaha 1000 watt inverter generator is doing its job. It's on economic mode. At 250 watts the generator fuel consumption is rated at .6 of a gallon running up to 12 hours. I switched the water. heater to propane. It's cool out so AC is not needed.

Spoke to someone at Charleston South Carolina and so far rain fall total is around 8 inches.

Will be updating what's going on later.

Tom Reed

Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Henry W

Thanks Tom,
Power company tried turning power back on a couple times. Just loud deep hums in the distance. I guess there is a good short or, the grid is overloaded. I forgot to mention that I filled the fresh water tank before the storm. It turns out that community well is down.  Everything is fine. The generator is still running on the first fillup since yesterday around at 5:45pm. 10-1/2 hours of run time on 6 tenths of a gallon fuel is pretty good. The little inverter generator is a keeper.

I'll post another update later.

Henry W

The power went back on around 6:30am. Well, sort of. The lights been dimming and going out briefly for fraction of a second along with the sound of substation transformers humming away in the distance. I've decided not to connect to the grid until I'm sure it's safe to do so.

veggie

Yep, that's a big storm alright.
What are you powering with the 1000w genny?
Lights, computer, Television, internet?

Henry W

Propane Furnace, tv, lights, iPad/iPhone chargers mini audio system and controller for water heater. Water heater is switched to propane mode.

I only need the Kubota EB300 powered generator in the Summer months when AC is needed.

It's surprising how little I can get away with.

Henry W

Just connected back to the grid. I'm getting ready to service the generator for next time.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all that are affected by Ian. Stay strong, and be safe.