News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Current limiting device - Any ideas ?

Started by veggie, May 10, 2024, 08:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

Can anyone help me with a recommendation for a device that can limit DC current from a battery bank to a device?
In this case the 24 volt battery bank is connected to a 1000 watt grid tie inverter.
When connected, the inverter immediately draws the full 1000 rated watts and runs at it's maximum capacity (and heat) with no restrictions for longer life or safety.
My goal is to restrict the supply current to 800 watts (33.3 amps) by installing some device between the battery and the inverter.
For low wattage circuits a light bulb can sometimes suffice, but for 800 watts, I have no idea what would work.

If a big resistor is a possible solution, I need some help sizing it.

Any recommendations or instruction ?

Thanks

Tom Reed

Usually the current limiting is done on the load on the inverter, not the supply to it. Can you tell more about what your trying to do?
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

veggie

QuoteUsually the current limiting is done on the load on the inverter, not the supply to it. Can you tell more about what your trying to do?

This class of small Chinese inverters are notorious for drawing unlimited amperage and burning up.
Their input is determined by the size of the PV array feeding it.
As an example:
The inverter can accept 20 - 38 vdc and is rated at 1000 watts.
A 35 volt 900 watt solar PV array puts out a MAX of 30 amps and 900 watts when under load and pulled down to 30 volts.
There is zero chance of killing the inverter because the panels can never produce enough to overpower it.

However if you connect the inverter to a 24 vdc, 400 amp battery bank, the inverter runs right up to full input amps and runs so hot that it cooks the Mosfets. If the battery bank output (inverter supply) was limited to 800 watts just like a PV array, the unit would last longer.
That's what I'm trying to achieve.

Tom Reed

Ah, this is a grid tie inverter? Connected to batteries? A current limiter would have to switch the dc on and off, this would make crappy dc which might burn the inverter. I'm still not sure what your goal is here.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom