News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Perkins 402c-05 & utterpower PMG

Started by flywheel, November 04, 2009, 09:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbodell

Quote from: flywheel on November 04, 2009, 10:26:37 PM
Serpentine belt driven with a short shaft with pillow blocks, flex coupling of my design and operated at a reduced rpm.
Speaking of homemade flex couplings, I have to tell one on myself. I was about 45 miles off shore on the boat when the water pump for the exhaust committed suicide. The identical replacement pump apparently was not. It was off just enough that the two shafts didn't line up. I took the flange coupling off both shafts and reversed them leaving the hubs facing each other and used a piece of rubber hose and hose clamps to connect them. Is that not redneck engineering at it's finest?
I am looking forward to senility,
you meet so many new friends
every day.

flywheel

The genhead and its mounting plate have been installed today.  I used a hinged plate instead of a slider, less pieces with hinges but either will work well.  The mounting plate for the head must be square with the drive pulley or it will be very hard on the belt.  Careful allignment is a must.
                                                                            flywheel
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

flywheel

Use a straight edge to allign pulleys, does anyone notice anything wrong with this drive belt?  Engine mounting bolt heads have been drilled and safety wire added. 

Having been around diesels for 40 plus years I have seen what can happen when bolts come loose and fall out.  If this engine is left running unattended its a cheap insurance policy. 

There is a lot left to do before this genny is in operation, belt tensioner, radiator, hoses, wiring, switches etc. 

flywheel

V5CVBB

Nice setup!  What speed will the Perkins be cranking?

Look forward to the performance reports.

Kevin

Henry W

You made lots of progress in a short time.

Nice setup.

Henry

highwater

Quote from: flywheel on February 12, 2010, 10:25:09 PM
does anyone notice anything wrong with this drive belt?    flywheel

From a review of the pics of the pulleys and belt, I would say the belt needs to fill a couple more groove.
The current setup is what....6/8......only 75 percent of the available transfer of torque?

Randall

highwater

I guess would be able to get the torque applied with any belt, provided you could get it tight enough...
but the surface area is there....if it were me, I would fill up the other 2 grooves.
Longer belt life....less tension...less heat...less maint

Randall

Henry W

I think the 6 groove belt will be fine for his application. The 3kw 3600 rpm PMG has much less inertia to overcome compaired to an ST5 or 7. I believe Flywheel will be installing a tensioner on the slack side of the belt. This will help the stabilization of the belt tremendusly. The extra wrap should increase belt life by a fair amount. If belt slap happens on the pull side all that needs to be done is to install a fixed idler to flex the belt up to 1/2". This will get rid of any bad belt harmonics. Once Flywheel gets it running he will know what is needed.

If Flywheel was running a single cylinder engine running at 1800 RPM's pulling a ST-12 like my S195 does then I would say the 8 groove belt is a must. And two idlers is a must. I done enough research and prototyping on this to feel comfortable enough to say Flywheel is probably fine.

Another good thing that flywheel did is he thought things through about the pulleys. Getting pulleys for 8 groove belts is often overlooked and if he does need to go to an 8 groove belt in the future he will have that option.

Good planning!!!

Henry

Henry W

Flywheel,

What are you going to use to use the PMG for? Will you be using it to charge battery's?

What speed will the engine be running at?

Henry

flywheel

Quote from: highwater on February 13, 2010, 01:14:14 AM
Quote from: flywheel on February 12, 2010, 10:25:09 PM
does anyone notice anything wrong with this drive belt?    flywheel

From a review of the pics of the pulleys and belt, I would say the belt needs to fill a couple more groove.
The current setup is what....6/8......only 75 percent of the available transfer of torque?

Randall

Yes its a six rib belt on eight groove pulleys.  I was unable to obtain a eight rib belt locally so I'm useing the six rib for now.  This is a very short belt, only 38.75" od, I don't thnk there will be much belt bounce as close as the pulleys are. 
      flywheel

rbodell

I think this would be a good time for somebody to post a thread on which side of a pulley to put the idler pulley so the idler just takes up the slack and increases contact to the driven pulley. I just don't have a good photo. but I have seen many installed wrong with owners being disappointed in the results.
I am looking forward to senility,
you meet so many new friends
every day.

flywheel

Quote from: hwew on February 13, 2010, 07:40:16 AM
Flywheel,

What are you going to use to use the PMG for? Will you be using it to charge battery's?

What speed will the engine be running at?

Henry

The PMG will used as a temporary generator for power, I don't have a battery bank to charge.  The engine will be operating at 3025 rpm with the pulleys as is.  This was done intensionally so I can place a large load on the engine for some breakin hours and then switch to different pulley sizes.
Then the rpm will be reduced to around 2575 rpm with a pulley change and thats where it will probably remain.

flywheel

Henry W

Sounds like a good plan Flywheel.

The engine should like running around 2575 rpm once broken in.

Henry

flywheel

Belt tensioner, made with 3/8 all thread rod, long coupler, brass jam nuts and a spring clip. Simple and effective, the purpose of the clip is to keep the head from dropping down and causing damage if there should be a belt failure.
                                                                                                                                                 flywheel

mobile_bob

Flywheel:

that sure is a sweet looking setup, and it is going to show well when you get it painted too.

lots of creative idea's and solutions there.

bob g