Perkins 402c-05 & utterpower PMG

Started by flywheel, November 04, 2009, 09:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flywheel

Perkins/utterpower PMG, more pictures.
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

flywheel

Perkins/utterpower PMG, Radiator.

The radiator I will use is from surplus center and is the correct one for this engine.   Its a nice three core made in Turkey, copper core, brass upper and lower,  drain valve,  bottom mount threaded nuts welded on, side mounts also.  Its a a nice small compact well built radiator.  About 13.5" wide and 15.5" tall. Upper and lower 1'' hose barbs and 35000 plus btu's. 

There is NO radiator cap or filler on the radiator, I will probably solder something on the top for a bleeder and fill point.

The radiator must be raised about 5.5" to get it to the proper heighth for use with this frame.  To raise the radiator I used short pieces of schedule 80 iron pipe.  Inside the pipe is 3/8" all thread rod inside of a plastic sleeve to keep it centered within the pipe.  The rod is double nutted on the bottom.  There is also a large washer and nut on the Top end of the pipe. This nut is hidden within the lower rubber cushion.   Two rubber cushions and another large washer are used.  The upper end of the threaded rod is drilled for a cotter pin so the top nut cannot come off.  This top nut is only tight enough to compress the rubber cushions slightly.

The welded on mounting nuts on the radiator bottom are metric thread, I drilled the threads out so the all thread rod passes through the welded on nut.    There will be upper radiator braces as we get farther along with this project.                                               
               flywheel

flywheel

WGB

flywheel

Quote from: WGB on November 15, 2009, 08:00:40 PM
Think you may need a shroud?

Yes - it will have a shroud, probably one of the last items to be installed after bracing, guards etc.
                                                                                                                                     flywheel

Apogee

So, here's a dumb question for you (and I do realize you are already where you are with this project)

Why not mount the radiator upside down using the side mounting flanges?

It would then leave the "bottom" hose connector pointing upward and you could use a 90 degree hose with a pressure cap for filling/bleeding the system...

Just a thought...

Great job so far!  I'm learning from you as you go as I also plan to build at least one of these (I have 2 engines)

Also, I wonder if a fan shroud is going to be required.  Several of the small engine installs that I've seen using Kubota engines haven't used a shroud...  Might be worth trying without just to see how it cools...

Steve

flywheel

Quote from: Apogee on November 29, 2009, 02:35:19 PM
So, here's a dumb question for you (and I do realize you are already where you are with this project)
NOT A DUMB QUESTION.

Why not mount the radiator upside down using the side mounting flanges? 
THIS RADIATOR HAS VERY STURDY MOUNTS ON THE BOTTOM.  IT ALSO HAS A DRAIN VALVE ON THE BOTTOM. THE SIDE MOUNT STUDS OR TOP FLANGE CAN ALSO BE USED, I BELIEVE THEY ARE ALSO USED FOR A SHROUD OR MOUNTING.

It would then leave the "bottom" hose connector pointing upward and you could use a 90 degree hose with a pressure cap for filling/bleeding the system...
THE PERKINS WATER OUTLET POINTS STRAIGHT UP SO IF THE RADIATOR IS UPSIDE DOWN IT WOULD REQUIRE A 180 DEGREE BEND TO CONNECT TO THE RADIATOR. 
I WILL PROBABLY SOLDER A FITTING OF SOME SORT ON THE TOP TANK FOR A AIR BLEED AND FILLER, IT WON'T NEED A LARGE OPENING. THE UPPER AND LOWER TANKS ARE BRASS WITH A COPPER CORE, NICE LITTLE RADIATOR FROM SURPLUS CENTER -35000 PLUS BTU.

Just a thought...

Great job so far!  I'm learning from you as you go as I also plan to build at least one of these (I have 2 engines)

Also, I wonder if a fan shroud is going to be required.  Several of the small engine installs that I've seen using Kubota engines haven't used a shroud...  Might be worth trying without just to see how it cools...

Steve

flywheel

The holidays are over so its time to get back to work on the Perkins/PMG.  I now have enough of my drive system parts to begin assembly.

The 402c Perkins diesel is a very small 2 cylinder engine, the flywheel is only 8 5/8" wide. A serpentine pulley will be bolted to the flywheel but the pulley will NOT be used to belt drive the PMG.

Mike Montieth made the flywheel pulley,  this pulley also has three blind holes machined in it to accept drive bushings.
              flywheel

flywheel

Here we have the drive plate and short shaft.  The drive plate has three blind holes to accept the drive bushings.
The short shaft is just long enough to accept two pillow block bearings and the sk bushing with pulley.
                                                                                                                                          flywheel

flywheel

The drive plate was also made by Mike Montieth, The short shaft was made at a local machine shop. Before final assembly I will weigh all the parts and pieces.

I do not want any side pull on the crankshaft so I'm using a short driven shaft with bearings.  A belt driven generator requires a very tight belt especially if small diameter pulleys are used.

The short shaft also allows me to change pulley ratios to suit hp and rpm needs with the mini Perkins diesel.  Using a short coupled shaft requires more parts, expense, time and planning. 
                                                                                                  flywheel

WGB

Nice I like the drive dogs.
Which pulley is driving what?

flywheel

Starting to have some not so cold days here in N IL so I have spent some time in the garage on the Perkins/PMG.
The frame has been completed and painted, assembly has begun.

I have painted the flywheel, machined drive pulley/coupler half and drive plate. The pulley that bolts to the flywheel is used as a coupler half, no belt is used on this pulley.  It is also machined for a SK bushing and 8 groove serp belt and can be removed and used as a pulley.  I do not want side loading on the crankshaft so a short driven shaft will be used.
            flywheel

flywheel

The engine is ready to be installed on the new frame.  It must be mounted square with frame and also level so the engine is not tilted up or down. The flywheel has been installed and is checked with a square to make certain the engine is not tilted. 
                           flywheel

flywheel

Pulley/coupler half bolted to flywheel and drive bushings installed.  The red index lines on the bolts and parts are there so I can easily tell if any bolts have loosened.

The drive plate and short shaft have been installed, there is a gap of about .020 between the drive plate and flywheel pulley.  I used three thin shims between the parts to set this gap.
                                                                                                      flywheel

highwater

Excellent work.
Put this thread on my notify list.
I know I'll refer to this project, when I get to that point.
I jumped on the Cat label engine after SC ran out of the Perkins orange.

Randall