News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Perkins 402c-05 & utterpower PMG

Started by flywheel, November 04, 2009, 09:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flywheel

I believe I have rounded up enough parts and pieces to begin assembly of the Perkins and PMG.  Pictures will be posted as we progress.  flywheel
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

Henry W

I just started working on the small Cat genset.

Can't wait to see your pictures.

Henry

flywheel

Unable to post any pictures - upload file full,  tried a bunch of times.

rcavictim

Quote from: flywheel on November 04, 2009, 09:46:48 PM

I've been having the same problem with picture uploads today.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

dubbleUJay

Quote from: rcavictim on November 04, 2009, 09:51:24 PM

I had this problem a while ago and it seemed that the maximum allowed space on the server was full, Admin adjusted (made bigger) it and it worked after that.

I'm not sure though if this is the same situation ???
dubbleUJay
Lister  - AK - CS6/1 - D - G1 - LR1 -
http://tinyurl.com/My-Listers

flywheel

Here is my plan for the Perkins/PMG.  This little genset will be permanently located in my garage.  I will assemble it in a compact as is practical unit to save floor space.  The engine will be mounted within the frame to reduce height, Oil pan probably will be only one inch or so off floor. 

Exhaust directed outdoors to muffler.  Since it has a fuel pump a no fuel tank will be mounted on it, a small remote tank will be used, Lots of options here.

Serpentine belt driven with a short shaft with pillow blocks, flex coupling of my design and operated at a reduced rpm.

It is not intended to power my whole home but will provide temp power for short outages.  I will also have lights to get a big genset on line outdoors if its dark outside.

flywheel

admin

sorry for the inconvenience guys, i adjusted the size and we should be good to go again

still learning the ropes here

admin

flywheel

rcavictim

Quote from: admin on November 04, 2009, 11:08:52 PM
sorry for the inconvenience guys, i adjusted the size and we should be good to go again

still learning the ropes here

admin

Thank you!  I was able to post my pictures.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

flywheel

Here is a bit more information and pictures of the utterpower 3kw PMG.  This is the head that is to be belt driven by the 402c Perkins diesel.  It is 3600 rpm and bidirectional.  I'm looking forward to see this little unit up and running.

The utterpower PMG has a lot of features you just don't see in most generator heads.  It has NO electronics of any kind - none!  NO brushes, NO slip rings and NO rectifiers.  This would mean this head is EMP proof.

It is a totally sealed unit, no dust or dirt can get inside, I believe you could squirt it with a hose and no water would enter.  It has thick cast doghouse with a real rubber seal, the cable clamp even has a seal on it.

Inside the doghouse there is a terminal strip, all wires are clearly marked.

It has a unique patented cooling system, a huge 45mm HOLLOW shaft with cast iron fan attached. Air is directed through the hollow shaft for cooling. 

This head meets ANSI standard C 84.1 from no load to full load. 

flywheel

flywheel

mike90045

Quote from: dubbleUJay on November 04, 2009, 10:11:54 PM
Quote from: rcavictim on November 04, 2009, 09:51:24 PM

I had this problem a while ago and it seemed that the maximum allowed space on the server was full, Admin adjusted (made bigger) it and it worked after that.

I'm not sure though if this is the same situation ???

Admin - make sure hackers are not filling all your space with naughty pics !

WGB

That will be one heck of a system.
I really wanted one of Georges PM's.
I wish they were just a tad bigger, and price with the shipping difference almost payed for my engine.

flywheel

UPDATE - Perkins/utterpower PMG

As I mentioned in an earlier post this little genset will be indoors permanently and I will make is as compact as possible.  The base/frame is made with 1.5" x 3.0" x 1/4" thickness rectangular tube.  All fasteners are placed inside the tubing from the bottom so there are no bolt heads showing on the bottom of the frame.

Engine mounts are one piece instead of two mounts for each side of the engine.  Its easier to make one larger mount than two small ones.  The distance between mounting holes on the side of the block is only about 5 1/2". Mounts are made from 5/16" thick angle iron cut and drilled to size.  The distance across the block (wide) at mounting points is about 7".  These engines are pretty small and lightweight and are made of cast iron.

A note on engine mounting.  The IDEAL way to mount most engines is to have the engine mount at or near the crankshaft centerline.  My mounts project downward instead of straight out, not ideal but I'm building a compact unit so thats the way they need to be for this genset.  I could make them straight out but it requires a higher frame at the mount points.

The oil pan plug is only 3/4" off the floor,  I have reduced the overall heighth of the engine as much as I can.  Oil changes will have to be done with the unit raised upon blocks. This can be done by hand as this is not a listeroid and the oil change schedule is every 500 hrs on the Perkins.                                                                                     flywheel

Henry W

I like the way you made the mounts. The V cut in the mount reduces stress on the block.

Great Job!!

Henry