News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

I'm in the Witte club!!!

Started by Tom Reed, December 03, 2020, 05:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

i have one just like that girl, that is i have the engine but not the generator
the generator was taken off and scrapped by a previous owner, and he then went to work
breaking off the cast iron base where the generator mounted

there is enough base left so that the engine is bolted down to a frame with steel ag wheels
and a tow tongue on it so it  can be dragged around.

the engine starts and runs, it has the radiator option, which bolts on top of the cylinder and has the little belt driven
fan.

if you or anyone wants it, it is located in central kansas, in my back yard
i could arrange a skid steer to load it for ya!  :)

i got $350 in it, i just couldn't let it go at auction for less, so it followed me home,  i would like to get that back out of it.

these witte engines are big hunks of iron aren't they?

bob g

Tom Reed

The Witte lives! To start with it had low compression, so I removed the valve cover and gave the valves a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet. And just like that there was compression. Then a battery was connected and after cleaning the terminals the starter cranked. Next was the injector was taken apart and cleaned. The pop tester showed a nice spray pattern and no leakage. A temp fuel tank was connected to the fuel pump and the delivery valve cleaned. Bled the injector and added oil and on the first compression stroke off she went. It seems to run clean with no blow-by and 35psi oil pressure. So all looks good on that end.

Next is to belt up the Kato gen head and see it that works. Also the Murphy gauges need to be reconnected. This engine is shutdown with a fuel solenoid. Full closed on the rack is running speed with no load. The Witte's new job is to run some 3ph motors in the pellet production line.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

mike90045

Tom Reed

New video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhAQ0uFinls The generator works next comes a load test. I'm thinking of casting a concrete block with fork pockets so it will be "portable".
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Tom Reed

Update: I got the Witte running and while it runs pretty good, I found it lost prime during shutdown. The shut down process on this engine uses a fuel solenoid in front of the IP. Well after sitting for a while, I guess the fuel solenoid leaks a bit because my fuel drained into the crankcase. So I pulled the IP apart and found a very worn plunger and barrel. After a through a parts search for a new pump element I came up empty. BUT Area Diesel recommended Myles International and after speaking to them I sent my old plunger and element to be chromed and restored. The cost seems reasonable at $70 and it will take about 10-12 to be completed. Looks like she's got a new lease on life!
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Tom Reed

So I found out why the engine looses prime on shutdown, the plunger and barrel in the IP are worn out. So after an exhaustive search, a replacement element was not to be found. What I did find was a company in MS that would send the old parts out to be chromed and then refitted. They were sent the parts in Feb and I just got them back. The fit is smooth and seems as good as new.

This company, Mylex International sends batches of parts to Brazil, where a group of former employees bought an old Bosch plant and they are rebuilding old parts and making new ones. Also the injector uses the same nozzle as a S195. So it looks like I'll be able to return the old girl to service.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Henry W

Tom, thanks mentioning Mylex International.

This is a valuable and I posted them in the Dealers Registry.

Henry

veggie

Just watched your vid.
That's a nice engine Tom. Good find.
Do you plan to refurbish it to her former glory.
All shiny and new looking ?

By the way, they run great on WVO, so start collecting oil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSz6p7JYAFY

Tom Reed

Quote from: veggie on May 21, 2022, 11:49:59 AMJust watched your vid.
That's a nice engine Tom. Good find.
Do you plan to refurbish it to her former glory.
All shiny and new looking ?

By the way, they run great on WVO, so start collecting oil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSz6p7JYAFY

I am going to put her back to work powering a 5ph dust collection system.

ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom