News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

I'm in the Witte club!!!

Started by Tom Reed, December 03, 2020, 05:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Reed

Picked up this sweet heart of a Witte BD-9RDA manufactured in 1968. It came with a manual, electric start and genuine Murphy gauges for temp and oil pressure
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

LowGear

Congratulations Tom,

I'm sure you're aware of all the great features of these engines.  Made in the USA and the giant oil tank are what pushed me over the edge.  I picked up a scanned copy of the owner's manual and under fuels was: "Use No Crude" as in crude oil I presume.  Now that's "Roughy - toughy" talk if I've ever heard it.

You have a bit of work ahead of you so please keep us posted.  Does it turn over?

Casey

veggie

WHAT !!!

Do you guys have giant cranes at home ?
There's no way I could play with something like that.
I would get a hernia just lifting off the valve cover.  ;D

Tom Reed

Quote from: LowGear on December 04, 2020, 11:18:47 AM
Congratulations Tom,

I'm sure you're aware of all the great features of these engines.  Made in the USA and the giant oil tank are what pushed me over the edge.  I picked up a scanned copy of the owner's manual and under fuels was: "Use No Crude" as in crude oil I presume.  Now that's "Roughy - toughy" talk if I've ever heard it.

You have a bit of work ahead of you so please keep us posted.  Does it turn over?

Casey
It turns over fine and even has a bit of compression, the injector squirts instead of sprays. Even better there is a genuine Frantz oil filter installed on the engine. Read the manual last night and the sales brochure from around '72 that I plan to scan and post here soon. Covers the whole Witte line.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Tom Reed

Quote from: veggie on December 04, 2020, 11:44:47 AM

WHAT !!!

Do you guys have giant cranes at home ?
There's no way I could play with something like that.
I would get a hernia just lifting off the valve cover.  ;D

I have a 3 ton fork lift here which didn't even grunt when lifting off the truck. When it's on the truck, does that make it a portable generator? I have an old generator trailer that had a 25kw generator with a flat head jeep engine in it. I may try to mount it on there if it fits.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

mike90045

Tom Reed

Just scanned sales brochure from Witte celebrating 100 years. Lots of good info. Download here http://programmertom.com/download/Witte100Years.pdf
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Henry W

I like the looks of the engine. How much does it weigh?

Tom Reed

It's about 1400 lbs including the base and generator. Full details in the sales brochure.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Henry W

That is heavy. Have to mount it in place than build the generator shed around it. Please be careful moving it.

Tom Reed

Fortunately I have 6000lb forklift.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

LowGear

The really good news is that these guys run absolutely smooth when kept in their designed speed range.

Pun alert!  When it's cold a bit of propane really sparks their interest.

Tom Reed

Did you get the pdf I posted, its really good.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

LowGear

It looks mammoth for only 1400 pounds.

Shouldn't it have a condensation radiator?

Tom Reed

Agreed, seems like it would be heavier, however the specs say 1150 for just the engine and 1400 the whole generator. Looks like mine is the tank cooled version.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom