News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Need help finding

Started by Superfly, November 28, 2013, 09:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

Well Guys I need some help.   I am looking for a witte Diesel with a generator to set up at my house.  I found some in alaska butnot cost prohibited.

can any one out there help me out????

I am loacated in Northern MN and have a semi to pick it up with.

Thanks Jaime   

vdubnut62

They come up on SmokStak from time to time,and  occasionally on Craigslist.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

Hi,

Try to find the big one with electric start.  They sell for about the same price and offer just about everything for which the slow speed enthusiast dreams.  They are rated at about 750 RPM while the smaller ones run at about 900 RPM for factory 60 Hz.

Casey

And they're made in 'Merica.

Superfly

Yes sir i want to find one with electric start,   I hope to set it up and run my house and get rid of all my waste oil from the semi and my buddys semi i can usuully get a few hundred gallons a year,  Plus i want to get away from the power compay if i can.

Thanks Jaime   

Honda lee

Good luck I have been keeping a eye out for one for about eighteen months. I missed one on ebay about a year ago  and it was only about 30 miles away. Damn the luck!

deeiche

keep looking, they show up occasionally.

In the last several years there have been two for sale within 200 miles.  The last one went to a board member in TorC, NM, I believe the seller even delivered it.  I bought the board member's Listeroid, he sold it to make room for the Witte setup.  The Witte's are huge.

bschwartz

I am the one who sold the Listeroid, and got the Witte.
Yes, it is BIG!!!  Actually TOO big for my needs.  I am in the process of acquiring another 6/1, and will be selling my Witte CD-12.
It's just too big for my arm (hand crank, not electric) and my loads. 
I bought the Witte hoping it would power my whole house air conditioning.
It will handle the constant load, but with 800 lbs of flywheels, the governor has a problem keeping up with the AC cycling on and off.  It takes almost two minutes for the engine to slow down enough for the governor to react to the 4000 watt AC load, and by then once the governor starts to add more fuel, the generator has slowed down to about 52 hz (should be 60 here) and the ST head voltage drops to under 190v (should be around 230).
Long story, it doesn't serve my needs well, and I will be looking for it to find a new home within the next year (as soon as I get my 6/1 here)
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

Jens

Sweeeeeeeeet ..... 800 lbs of flywheel ..... drool .....

Why don't you modernize the governor and add correction of fuel load based on generator load ?

billswan

Quote from: bschwartz on December 02, 2013, 09:56:01 PM
I am the one who sold the Listeroid, and got the Witte.
Yes, it is BIG!!!  Actually TOO big for my needs.  I am in the process of acquiring another 6/1, and will be selling my Witte CD-12.
It's just too big for my arm (hand crank, not electric) and my loads. 
I bought the Witte hoping it would power my whole house air conditioning.
It will handle the constant load, but with 800 lbs of flywheels, the governor has a problem keeping up with the AC cycling on and off.  It takes almost two minutes for the engine to slow down enough for the governor to react to the 4000 watt AC load, and by then once the governor starts to add more fuel, the generator has slowed down to about 52 hz (should be 60 here) and the ST head voltage drops to under 190v (should be around 230).
Long story, it doesn't serve my needs well, and I will be looking for it to find a new home within the next year (as soon as I get my 6/1 here)

I Might be in the buying mood by the time you are ready to sell. Send me some info on  what you might want for the critter. Or am I to late already ;)

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

bschwartz

....."Why don't you modernize the governor and add correction of fuel load based on generator load ?"

Easy for you to say.
Jens, do you have a copy of  "How to modernize your governor and add fuel correction based on generator loads for dummies"

Bill, this is the first I've mentioned to anyone about possibly selling.  You aren't too late  :)
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

Jens

Quote from: bschwartz on December 03, 2013, 06:52:35 AM
....."Why don't you modernize the governor and add correction of fuel load based on generator load ?"

Easy for you to say.
Jens, do you have a copy of  "How to modernize your governor and add fuel correction based on generator loads for dummies"

Yes, yes it is ... and no, I don't :)

I have no idea what your governor system looks like but there are plenty of ideas in the archives about electronic governors for the listers.
For a lister it can be as simple as a pulse width modulated solenoid attached to the governor spring. The control signal is developed with current to voltage sensors on the generator output and fed to a magic black box, the output of the magic black box feeds the solenoid.
Before you ask, I am fresh out of magic black boxes but there are lots of knowledgeable people here that can whip one up in no time flat if properly motivated :)

deeiche

Quote from: bschwartz on December 03, 2013, 06:52:35 AM

Easy for you to say.

Bill, this is the first I've mentioned to anyone about possibly selling.  You aren't too late  :)
Then I'll pony up to the queue too.

Superfly

I am about ready to go cruise back roads of texas and oklahoma and go door to door LOL

I know of three in Glen allen alaska but that is to far for me.

Jaime