News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

What was I?

Started by XYZER, November 12, 2013, 09:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XYZER

Out and about during elk season I ran across these nice pair of flywheels:). I looked it over real quick until I spotted the issue the rod had with the crankcase and then gave up on the old gal. I looked for a ID tag and never found one. Do you guy recognize it?

Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

Jens

Quote from: XYZER on November 12, 2013, 09:01:49 PM
until I spotted the issue the rod had with the crankcase and then gave up on the old gal

LOL ... as they say in the boating world ... "that'l buff right out" :)

OTOH, as you say, a NICE set of flywheels for a Listeroid. Not only a nice set of flywheels but already set up for a starter (geared flywheel) and V belts.
Great find if you can get it for scrap value and have a means of getting it home!

Thob

Looks like a Witte to me.  I think the injector and injection pump are prized parts on these, and might be worth some money to someone who needs them.  I understand they are hard to find, and they appear to be present in the pictures.  It *might* be worth a lot more than scrap value.

Casey probably knows - he has a Witte.

Where is it located?  I have a big buffer and might want it - too bad the crankcase has been left open to the rain!

Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

XYZER

Quote from: Thob on November 13, 2013, 09:09:20 AM
Where is it located?
Bly(correction) Beatty Oregon on the side of the road.

LowGear

I'm so glad it's not in Hilo (East side of the big island Hawaii) cause I just might go pick it up.  That's all near 2000 pounds of Witte CD taged at 12 HP.  This is the very special on that has factory electric start.

I missed the one here one the island five years ago and still kick myself every once in a while.

Casey

Henry W

It probably has some good parts. But the block is shot, and internals have been exposed to the weather.

Henry

Thob

See?  Get it for the parts.  Start by selling the starter bracket and flywheel with the ring gear to Casey.

It's just a little too far for me - 1825 miles according to Google.  Almost as far as it from Casey!
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

LowGear

This puppy is a mammoth compared to mine and the flywheels are totally different.  It did have a 5 inch bore with an eight inch stoke and worked out at about 750 RPM.

It just might present a problem at the luggage counter as well.

If you have a CD you should consider a visit to beautiful Oregon.  The oil sump is cast into the frame.

A very nice example of early 20th century American design and manufacturing.

And yes, parts can be a stinker (they don't call me Mr. PC for nothing).

Casey

bschwartz

Yep!!! looks like the CD (mine is rated 14hp) sitting in my workshop...... Yes, I'm drooling over parts like the injector/pump, and the geared flywheel (mine is hand crank!!)
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

LowGear

Here's the one I was quoting from.

Casey

XYZER

Where should the engine label be located? It is at an along the side of the road at a 2nd hand store I have passed for years. I could see it as I drove by through the years. The last drive by I noticed all of the other junk around the store was gone and those huge flywheels flashed at me as I drove by. I did a u turn and found the hole in the crank case and also a twisted rod staring at me and now I know why nobody ever bought it.