Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

LowGear

125 Volts DC.  I'm pretty sure this is a pre-war unit.

Casey

flywheel

I wonder what is/was wrong with this engine.  In the second pix you can see new fresh thick gaskets under the top cover and also the side cover just to the right of the inj pump.  This gasket should only be about 1/16' thick. 

Can't tell by the pix but it also could be thick silicone squeezed out.  The side cover was off for something.

The oilers for the valve stems are also missing which probably means it will have loose valve stems in their guides if it was operated without the oilers in place.

Will start with ether - tells me its probably low on compression, or has a inj pump/injector problem.
                                                                                                                                                             flywheel

Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

dieselfox

Gentlemen

I have been looking for a Witte.  Is this engine worth making into a project?  Forget the generator, as I can get better today.  It is the engine I am interested in.  Could it be rebuilt to a good condition?

Dieselfox

bschwartz

if you get the engine, and don't need the DC generator........... Keep me in mind.
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

LowGear

Hi Dieselfox,

These engines have good reputations once their squared away but they're not always cheap to work on and the parts can be scarce.  That "This motor had been setting outside and the water jacket froze and cracked.  I repaired the crack using the Lock n Stitch System." is kind of scary but that'll keep the slight of heart out of the auction.

The real question is how much are you willing to pay for a nicely (not showroom) rebuilt 8 or 12 HP slow speed diesel that was built in the USA?  I'd figure on going through every thing at the very least from the con rod on up or out as the case may be with this industrial strength unit.

Casey

OK; I give up.  What the Dicken's is a "Lock n Stitch System"?

bschwartz

- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

flywheel

Quote from: LowGear on July 04, 2011, 11:37:44 AM
125 Volts DC.  I'm pretty sure this is a pre-war unit.

Casey
It is one of the older units as it has the injector located on the side of the cylinder,  the newer ones have the injector mounted on the cylinder head.
                                                                      flywheel

dieselfox

Gentlemen

Thanks for the input.

If I don't try for it, how long does it take another one to come around?  

I would like the newer injector type.  The rest doesn't scare me.  Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Dieselfox

LowGear

Hi Dieselfox,

I don't know how much you hang out around eBay but eSnipe can be a beautiful thing.

I'm with you on ignorance.  It's a ying and yang kind of philosophy.  Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.  I always enjoy seeing if I'm the craziest person in the crowd. 

My unit is a 1952 BD and besides the injector location the intake - air cleaner port is on the bottom rather than the handier top as is this unit.  Another give away is the exposed push rods and rocker arms.  The engines you see going for $1500 and more usually have the full lubrication system with full flow filter and many have emergency shut-down apparatus sensing low oil pressure and high water temperature. 

Aloha bschwartz,

Neat stuff.  It looks to me that Lock n Stitch is for non-structural applications.  Are the plugs epoxied in?  There was a bit of proprietary language that kind of got by me.

I owned a 283 Chev that the block had been arc welded back together and hung in there for years.

Casey

bschwartz

" how long does it take another one to come around?"

These as well as lister/listeroids are generally few and far between.
If you think it will work for your project, and the price is good, and it isn't too far away, I'd get it.

- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

LowGear

It's too bad you can use a propane or natural gas unit like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160611497363&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Notice the more modern enclosed push rods and tappets, full flow oil filter and fuel lift pump.  Either one of these engines with sump style cast iron mount is going to weigh close to 1500 pounds. 

It sure sounds like a hit and miss but I don't see the governor linkage.   

Casey

playdiesel

Quote from: dieselfox on July 04, 2011, 01:47:32 PM
Gentlemen

I have been looking for a Witte.  Is this engine worth making into a project?  Forget the generator, as I can get better today.  It is the engine I am interested in.  Could it be rebuilt to a good condition?

Dieselfox

Hello,
There is one for sale, or was last I knew, in northern Indiana. Was on the ads over on SmokStak. Started out wanting a mint for it but no takers and was listed  OBO last time I saw  a posting. I think a couple weeks ago.

Link to ad  http://www.enginads.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/53418/cat/all
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

LowGear

A wanted ad on sites like smokstak wouldn't hurt nor cost very much.

Casey

flywheel

Quote from: LowGear on July 05, 2011, 08:22:47 PM
A wanted ad on sites like smokstak wouldn't hurt nor cost very much.

Casey
A wanted ad on smokestak is free, all you have to do is register and that is also free.
                                                                                                                                                        flywheel