Witte Diesel 12 hp model MD dieselectric plant

Started by flywheel, March 23, 2011, 10:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flywheel

We are starting to finally have some warmer days so Its time to start on the Witte diesel 12 hp model MD dieselectric plant.   This engine has been in storage since the mid 80's in a building in central Indiana when I purchased it last fall.  It has not been run for over 25 years.

I brought it back here to IL and it has sat in my garage all winter.  I have started to check it over to see what it may need before it is operated.  I do know that it does need to have new valve guides or the present ones sleeved or lined.

Today I found out that my Witte has walnuts and acorns in the water jacket.  I knew there was some stuff in the water jacket when I looked in the water inlet and outlets with a flashlight.  When this engine was in storage the water inlet and outlet were not sealed or plugged.  This allowed the mice to make a nest in the water jacket.

I removed the head today and cleaned out the acorns, walnuts and nesting material.  This stuff was removed through the water jacket openings in the end of the cylinder block after the head was removed.  There is still more to clean out.
                                                                                                                                                                             flywheel   
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

flywheel

LowGear

Hi flywheel,

Neat. 

I started my BD this weekend and ran it for about 30 minutes.  No adventures like yours.  The next running will be a 10 quart oil change and new filter.  In the mean time I need to rethink where the temperature probes go into the block for the emergency shutdown and gauge.  Does anyone have photos of how the factory set the two probes into the block? 

Do you have any "overall" photos of your engine and generator?

Casey

flywheel

The local machine shop has called and said my head is done after nearly three weeks.  It was bead blasted, new valve guide liners installed, liners drilled for oiler tubing, new valves, and new valve springs installed. 

The valve seats are in very good condition and were reused.
                                                                                                    flywheel

rcavictim

How was it that you lucked onto a pair of new valves or were these 'made' from valves originally made for something else?  Good luck with this!  Should be a sweet engine once finished.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

flywheel

There are still SOME nos parts for the Witte engines still available.  The valves I found may be aftermarket, I'm not sure but as long as they fit I'm happy.  They do have part numbers on them.   Some parts are not available at any price.

Some of the items were found on ebay, smokestak and thru google searching.  David Johnson / Wittemania also has many Witte parts and some of mine came from him

New parts I have already bought include a nos fuel pump, two new valves, two new valve springs, piston rings, two injector nozzles - each from a different person.  Injector pump rebuild parts are also available but hard to find, my pump appears to be ok. 

I have had new head gaskets made in the USA, I will be posting the contact info for that company should anyone wish to have gaskets made.   Turnaround time is about two weeks.

You must send in a used gasket or a template to them.  They will look over your sample and call you back to discuss it with them and what they will do.  In a few days they call agin to tell they are done and you give them your credit card info.  Attached is a sample of their work on my Witte  head gaskets.

flywheel

flywheel

This is likely as far as I will dismantle the Witte. 
This cast iron base with oil sump is over five feet long and heavy. 
            flywheel

LowGear

Aloha Flywheel,

How much further can you go?

Those casters sure are cute.  The ones on mine (supplied by seller) are attached much the same way.  This is a great way to crack or break the fabulous engine-generator-oil sump cast iron base we Witte owners are so proud of and thankful for.  My instruction book suggests placing it in wet concrete or mortar so the entire bottom lip is connected to something very substantial.  Mine is the slightly lighter BD model.  See Avatar.

Before I had a tach I thought it was kind of neat to slightly over rev it and watch it jump up and down until I noticed the amount of flex that was going through this base.  Luck Boy Day.

I almost forgot to tell you that it looks like you're doing a great job.  When do you start splashing paint?

Casey

flywheel

Just like building a new home, we start with the base-ment.  A new gasket needed to be installed between the base and crankcase.  Coated with dark brick red Glyptal, a nice color. 

The original color for the Witte MD is Cooks grey.  It will probably be painted with a similar color.
                                                                                                                                           flywheel 

flywheel

My MD engine is completely disassembled so I will try and take pix's of nearly every part and piece for reference.  There are many non forum members that do visit this site and look around and may also find this information very useful.

Here are a couple of pix from the head and crankcase end of the water jacket.
                                                                                                                            flywheel

flywheel

MD cylinder liner and seal.  The liner seal is not the round o ring type like most engines use. The MD seal looks like a large flat rubber band.
The liner is 15 3/4" long and a bit over 5.50" od.  The notches on the liner end are for connecting rod clearance.
This liner is in very good condition for being 70 years old, if it is the original liner.
                                                                                                                                flywheel

LowGear

Keep these photos coming.

Your work looks fantastic.

Casey

jljantz

am looking for head gasket for witte 12hp diesel generator serial # 23674 noticed a post about a company that makes them but no contact info. Can you help me.

LowGear

Have you checked with David?

wittemania@cox.net

Casey

flywheel

Quote from: jljantz on December 21, 2011, 12:37:22 PM
am looking for head gasket for witte 12hp diesel generator serial # 23674 noticed a post about a company that makes them but no contact info. Can you help me.

Google any of the following.
www.lubbockgasket.com
www.cometic.com
www.gasketstogo.com

I had mine made by lubbock gasket, high quality, $40 plus shipping.  You will need to send your old gasket or a good tracing.  If your gasket has a fire ring let them know the compressed id of the fire ring on your old gasket.
              flywheel