News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Help! Funky Voltage Regulator

Started by vdubnut62, April 29, 2010, 01:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdubnut62

I have looked everywhere I can think of to find some info on this doggone regulator off my Xing Dong 1100! I'm coming up with nothing,
Can anyone please shed ANY light on this thing? I would really like some sort of wiring diagram, if possible.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

mike90045

3 green wires ??    And what of the blue wire, is it attached, or just in the background ?

If it's dead, try soaking in acetone for a couple days, that may break down the epoxy, and usually does not dissolve the better electronic parts.

Get friendly with a TSA agent, and have them scan it at the airport!

vdubnut62

No, the blue one is in the background, just 3 green and 1 red.
I don't know if it's dead, just in case it's good, I didn't want to fry it by hooking it up wrong!
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Lloyd

wonder if it might not be a diode trio...you said it was off the regulator..check the greens to red with the diode side of a digital mulitmeter...see if it flows one way and not the other.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

playdiesel

My 1115 has something similar wired up and working but my shop is on the other side of town. Will check it out tomorrow and report.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

vdubnut62

Lloyd, yep, I figure you're right, it's a trio. But I'm simply stumped, I have 4 wires from the reg  and 4 posts from the alternator on the engine. Now, the way I look at it, I need at least 1 to the switch or  battery. ???
Anyhow thanks guys.
Playdiesel, I'll appreciate any info at all! I can find plenty of stuff for a 3 wire regulator, but nothing for a 4 wire!
I was planning to use the built in alternator, but the way it's looking now, I may end up with a GM 1 wire.
Ron

Lloyd

Ron,

I think the 3 greens are the ac taps, the red is the dc excitation, maybe.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

vdubnut62

I kinda figured that too, but I wanted to ask before I just smoke tested it ;D
Ron

veggie

vdubnut62,
I too went through this problem some time ago.
Thanks to some help from Martin Nile on the LEF, I came to understand the system.
These files may be helpful.

veggie

PS: Credit goes to martin Nile for originally sharing his information.

Lloyd

I am assuming there is a large post to bat, for the charge source. Does the alt have any of the post marked. If it's the trio, and the alt is marked for  ac taps...then of course the 4th would be the excitation.

I think you could hook up the ac, leave the red disconnected..then run the alt, if it doesn't produce power, then the measure the red to ground for voltage...if there's voltage then I 'm pretty sure it's a form of self excitation...there will be no switch to power the field, as it's excited by the trio and not the bat.

Lloyd

Lloyd

Well after looking at the pdf, if yours has a perm-mag alt there will no trio/excitation.

It is funny that 3 greens and 1 red no marks on the reg?

Also, at the bottom of the pdf, it shows hooking the coil in parallel, that's confusing in that each being out of phase...there wold be some cancellation.

It makes a certain amount of Chinese sense that one coil operates the headlight un-rectified, so you would need the neutral for that circuit, the other 2 would be phase voltage rectified to bat, out the red wire.

There is no voltage regulation..unless there is a voltage cutout semiconductor potted in, that drops the charge voltage at a certain voltage, at the risk of the rectifier.

Lloyd

OilCan

Red goes to keyswitch (+) to battery +

Ohm the green wires and determine which one is regulator
case ground.

The other two greens, one goes to COM and the other to "A" terminal for
the battery charging alternator.

"B" terminal can be switched to low/high charge application.  This is how I
interpret the drawings.

Here's some pix.

vdubnut62

Thanks Veggie, I had checked M Niles page but it shows a 3 wire setup.
Thanks Oilcan, but my engine has 4 alternator posts. I stuck a meter on all of 'em and didn't get any reading with the engine running, ac or dc.
Wow that was like trying to thread a running sewing machine!  I can't find any marks "A" "B" or COM!!
Thanks Lloyd, but I have NO markings anywhere... arrggghh!
That's why I hoped someone had run into the "funky" regulator.
Or do I just pretend I have 3 wires and try it like that??

When I get time, I'm gonna sit down with my trusty ohm meter and TRY to figure this out.
Ever heard "harder than Chinese arithmetic?"
I'm sure that I'll Be Back :D :D
If all else fails I'll just have to disassemble everything and see what's in there,
Thanks guys, I told you it was funky!
Ron