News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Frankengennie Walla Walla Xing Dong Lives!

Started by vdubnut62, February 07, 2010, 11:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdubnut62

Yes it is cold and yes I do have it jury-rigged with a "suicide cord" but I just couldn't wait to give it a whirl.
It was too cold to do anything else and I ain't much on footbawl.
I know better so no preachin" please. ;D

I discovered the following important details
A: that I will have a sure 'nuff real muffler PDQ. This little guy really lets you know it's got a straight pipe. ;D
B: that I will have a block off plate and a sure 'nuff real radiator PDQ.
C: in cold weather, people will stop and tell you that " Hey, did you know that your motor's really smoking out there?".
D: It works!!! ;D ;D ;D
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

WGB

vdubnut62

I can't believe this! After crawling under a Mercedes, sawing the drive shaft out, tracking down a chunk of AL to machine an adapter
and a BUNCH of time and effort, welding, cussing etc. I find this on Ebay.  To top it all off, for less money than I spent on my project!
I would have lost the v belt capability and a place to machine a serpentine groove, but it sure would have been easier!!!
I sure hope someone can benefit from my (lack of) experience.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320483708418&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D320483708418%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

veggie

vdubnut62,

Don't feel bad. It's just luck that you came across that coupler.
Those things are rare as hens teeth !
I challenge you to find a second one !  ;)

veggie

vdubnut62

Well, Dude has more than one! :D
Oh well, sucks for me!
Ron

wilson

Regarding this ebay coupler (vdubnut62 posted), sorry for the naivete, but can someone tell me why it is 2 pieces.  Also, what are those nylon pegs(?) for ?  Wouldnt they wear down quickly. 

wilson

with a reply like that!

I guess it will be my last post also!

vdubnut62

Hello Wilson, Good to have you here!
ASK ANY QUESTION THAT YOU PLEASE!!! That's what we are here for, to learn.
In engine to generator couplings, we don't want things solid. Most of the engines we use have a certain amount of vibration, and since the majority are single cylinder engines, they have a power stroke followed by a coasting period when they slow down, followed by another "pulse" of the power stroke. That will beat the tar out of a coupler.  If the coupler is a solid chunk of metal with no give, then the power pulse will beat the tar out of your generator. Eventually, something will either break or the windings will be shook out of your generator.
A solid coupler also has to have PERFECT alignment, or you will end up killing the bearings in either the engine or generator.
The 2 piece design allows the engine to decouple from the generator, allows for some misalignment, and the nylon pegs add a little cushion.
The cobbled up unit that I made uses a rubber donut to allow for some misalignment and provide a cushion against the power pulses of the
"Great Walla Walla Xing Dong". Believe me, a little cushion is a good thing to have. ;D
Ron

wilson

Thanks Jens!

It is what I assumed.  But I wasnt sure. 

Thanks for being helpful and easy on a newbie.

Im back in the game..if im allowed.

wilson

Great info.  Thanks.

Ive been running my veg oil mill with a s1100 for 2 years (powered by veg oil of course).  However the the fumes and noise, is, well, making me deaf and shortwinded.  So im hoping to attach genhead and get the 1100 as far away as possible and run the mill off electric motor.  Thus, im trying to get a grasp on the gen and best way to go about it.

vdubnut62

Yay! Another 1100 owner!  Woohoo! I'm not alone anymore! ;D
Walla Walla Xing Dong isn't an orphan bastard! the only 1100 in captivity!
Ron

mobile_bob

welcome to the horde Wilson

as for those plastic pegs,

i am not a fan of them, in as much as they work for the alignment, they wear quickly from the power pulses of
a single cylinder diesel.

not necessarily a bad thing if you have a bunch for replacement, but something that will require regular inspection

bob g

highwater

Here's where I was coming from.

First post. No intro. new member. Basic question to be troubling your professors with.

Questions? I got questions. But go check my posts. No technical questions yet.

Been reading the books suggested, every whitepaper listed on the forums, and darn near every word on the forum, with the exception of most of the ongoing lengthy political thread of late. (Did post there trying to inject a little humor).

Posted links to several items of possible interest to the forum subject matter.

Trying to get myself up to some measure of worthiness, before asking questions of the professors.

Just didn't see this forum as "the basics". You guys are merging together the upper levels of multiple disiplnes(sp).

Appoligies to wilson.

Randall

mobile_bob

Randall:

while i understand what your concerns were, i am not sure most here would agree with the position

i like probably everyone else here belong to several forums, a good number of which are very intolerant of newbies
and their questions, most especially newbies with a first post on a technical matter.

this forum is probably one of the best on any topic when it comes to newbies and their treatment, if the question is a good
one, it will probably be answered, if however it is something that becomes a flood of incredibly basic questions, we might suggest
remedial reading to get him up to speed.

none of us are experts on everything, although many of us are more like jack of all trades, or at least work and study to try to
be a jack of all trades, which in my belief you had better be prepared to be if you want to be a good diy'er.

many years ago, while i was a fairly young guy of about 22 or 23, i had an older man make a comment one day while he was watching me
overhaul a 13 speed fuller transmission, he was standing there smiling at me and shaking his head, and i asked him why.

his response was

"i have learned the most from two types of people as a mechanic, the first type is the older man who has done things everyway possible, and the other is from the young man who is not constrained by what others think"

he went on to tell me that the young guy when presented with a problem, sometimes comes up with an innovative approach to the problem that we old guys have never thought of.  apparently he had never seen a fuller assembled using the methods that i used, it would be another 7 or 8 years before i fully understood what he meant. those years later while another employer had sent me to drivetrain school so that the dealership would have certified mechanics, it all came clear to me what he meant.

at the school and with the instructor from the factory, we were taught how to reassemble the fuller using all the proper tooling, i found myself standing there shaking my head and smiling, i was asked why.

i related the story, and then told the factory instructor that i could do what he just did in less than half the time using no special tooling, save for common tools like a hammer, punch, side cutters and a bottle of typewriter correction fluid.

he provided the stuff, and i demonstrated how it was done, to his amazement

we both got an appreciation of each other that day, from what started as total disbelief from both sides.  if i were told how he was going to do it, and visa versa before entering the shop, we would have both been pointing and laughing at one another as though we both thought the other guy was a newbie.

moral of the story,

sometimes the other guy although looking like a newbie, might well bring something to the table the rest of us have not considered, and we
all learn something in the exchange.

i think that should we become intolerant of newbies and their questions is the day we have lost our way with this forum.

thankfully i don't think there are many here that will allow that to happen.

bob g

flywheel

Quote from: vdubnut62 on April 15, 2010, 10:23:49 PM
Yay! Another 1100 owner!  Woohoo! I'm not alone anymore! ;D
Walla Walla Xing Dong isn't an orphan bastard! the only 1100 in captivity!
Ron

Gee - that makes three of us now!
                                                 flywheel
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.