News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Happy Thanksgiving !!

Started by vdubnut62, November 23, 2016, 10:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdubnut62

The turkey is all trimmed up, you know loose bits of skin, the ends of the wings cropped. We call 'em turkey flippers around here. Well, that's what they look like. Flippers.
Hand rubbed inside and out with Creole seasoning and injected with Creole Butter marinade. Only half the bottle tonight though, the other half in the morning. Too much marinade at one time and it runs out before it can soak in.  It will fry very nicely! If you have never experienced Deep Fried Turkey you have missed one of life's great experiences.
My Lovely Wife has outdone herself, she has come up with a 3 layer Red Velvet Cake, the middle layer is Cheesecake!! My Daughter Kayla, is making her from scratch dark Chocolate pie and baking a ham. Her mom in law is baking another turkey.
I don't think any one in the extended families will go home hungry. And I do wish each and everyone of you could be here.

Now to everyone here (here includes EVERYONE reading this post) I want to extend a heartfelt  God Bless you all.  Take it in the spirit I meant it
I am dealing with a few personal issues that affect brain and balance among other things and so help me I am so glad to be able to say this to all of you! My typing isn't gone yet!
I feel very confident in the President elect, yes we are in for some bumpy certainly even rough times, But I am no longer making plans to bury my AR15s along with every  other thing passed to me by my Grandfathers and Father.
I feel so confident that This Forum will finally come into it's own. Bob's thankless hard work has gone for the most part unnoticed all the contributions I have made have been monetary only...... come on WE as in all of US need to help pick up a little slack.
Each and every one of you here have contributed to me. Without you all I would still be running around with suicide cords wondering why the doghouse has that funny blue aura.
Thank each and every one of you. Thank the Lord for I have been well blessed!

Ron.

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

Hi Ron,

Any time you want to express mail some of that bird over here to the infidels we could be talked into trying it.  I'm actually salivating.

For a slightly different take on Thanks-giving:  http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/11/23/jimmy-kimmel-mocks-political-correctness-in-thanksgiving-skit.html  You'll need to scroll down a bit to get the actual video.

I'm ready to start looking for the silver lining.  What a great day to get started.

Best Wishes on this wonderful day.

Casey

Henry W

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Be safe driving.

Henry

vdubnut62

Hey Casey!
Funny thing about that doggone turkey, I can't seem to figure it out. Maybe Mulder and Scully have a file on it and some explanation, I don't know.
I slice the darn thing, put some on my plate, finish up my big 'ol plate with the sideboards ( you know how we do it down south) look around to see if I missed anything, and that Turkey
is stripped bare of any edible material. Looks like the Mongol Hordes passed through while my back was turned.
If I ever have any left though, I'll fax you a piece.
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

Hi Ron,

It's the thought that counts.

Well kinda.  OK, Not so much with the red velvet cake. 

Where's my cake?

I want that cake!

Cheers,

Casey

mobile_bob

sorry to be late to the party, but heck... better late than never i guess

hope you all had a great turkey day, and for those in country's that don't observe thanksgiving or do so on other dates
i hope you too had a great day.

never hurts to hope good things for others! ;)

bob g

Derb

Happy Thanksgiving Fellas. We don't celebrate it here but have to make do with chooks etc as we don't have wild turkeys running around in "Camo Gear" looking over their collective shoulders. Birthday (61st) came and went (I got a vacumn cleaner - go figure) and Xmas not far away. I am hoping the whiskery Fella will drop off some Tesseron XO Lot21 in the sock. Doesn't last long with the SIL's visiting. Cheers.
Derb.
Kawerau
Bay of Plenty
New Zealand
Honda EU20i
Anderson 2 HP/Fisher & Paykel PM conversion
Anderson 3.5 HP
Villiers Mk20
Chinese 6500 watt single phase 4 stroke

LowGear

Thanks Ron,

Tonight is the last night for left-over turkey loaf.  Whew!  Am I tired of turkey tasting meat like stuff with stuffing like tasting stuff.  Somehow Hostess chocolate cup cakes aren't just isn't Red Velvet Cake. 

Maybe Christmas Uncle Ron?

Casey

OK, So many of us on this site are really lucky.  Yes I know most of us have worked hard and/or exercised real discipline to have this wonderful life we have.  Any ideas how do we pass these values on to others?

SteveU.

Important concepts you put forward with your last, Mr Casey
"many of us lucky here on this site. worked hard and/or exercised real discipline to have (what we have). How do we pass on these values (forward)."

Easy in concepts. Real hard to do in practice.
First: that it will take real hard work, and real discipline to achieve wonderful, comfort. We all need to keep showing our sweats needed expended to get here. Ain't for everyone. Most everyone never willing to "discipline", "real", "work", invest for a wonderful. So do not be disappointed for a small following on.

Second: takes conscious, dedicated, real personal humility and humbleness. NOT ALL SOLUTIONS ARE BEST FOR ALL. Or even, for most. Not yours. Not others.
Examples. Vegetable oil fueled systems maybe ok for those urban living with lots of deep-frying restaurants; or those who would big seed growing farm capable. For most? Not.
Another. PV solar solutions. O.K. fine and dandy for "most". Not here PNW wetside with less than 100 real not-completely-cloudy solar days a year. BC, Canada? Alaska coastal? Very difficult for me to humbly sit silently while I have an actual neighbor put in his whole rooftop PV solar with thousands of FED/State $'s subsidies. And then get paid back a ridiculous $1600. annually for his Green-Energy input from our PUD, subsidized by the rest of us ratepayers as a solar demo project. In Yacolt WA? Meanwhile just next property over I am growing an actual proven 10,000 pounds per acre a year in carbon capturing wood energy but get $$$ hammered just to use it for space heating.
But oh-my-god if I ever generator fired up with waste motor oil, he and others would have the SWWAPA (Southwest Washington Air Pollution Authority) on my ass. My silent humbleness to his gov'mint hog-troughing buys me no passes on my turn site grown wood into DIY electricity projects.

Third: voice loudly, and keep maintaining that progresses forward personally, globally have nothing to do with Mr Luck. But by Edison-like perspiration's and gutting perseverance.
Bad Luck visits and it just takes a we bit longer to get there.
Good Luck visits, and get there sooner, with less expected effort. Then able to sit back and relax. Or, go out and slay a different dragon.

J-I-C Steve Unruh
"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Or do without."
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.

LowGear

As my father would say "The harder I work the luckier I get."

But there's something else that goes on as we all know folks that have worked pretty hard and don't have a pot to pee in nor a window to throw it out of.  Or memories of wonderful adventures.  How do we encourage a path to the more fulfilling life experience?  I guess I'm looking for a last program to champion. 

Casey

SteveU.

Ahhh. And that's the rub to it, ain't it.
Championing a single ideal expecting improvement.
Johnny Apple Seed versus Muir.
humble pie Jimmy Carter versus superman Al Gore
all the local feed-the-in-need program folks versus Michel Moore
The one approach from local hands-on bottom up touchable reaching into local lives. To the other approach; always dependent on top-down approval bound to be bureaucratic diluted 'till nothing useful done today down into real lives.

For you Mr Casey it could be the always available-to-all, races color blind, caring, loving Santa Claws man. Do this in Seattle. Do this in Haw-why-eee. Season does not matter. The loving, caring individual attention is what matters.
Me? Too skinny. Not enough hair.
I just cafe breakfasted with an 80 y.o. neighbor gal just lost her husband to 15 years of brain cancer. Let her fuss about me and my wife to her pleasure. Re-offered her car rides to her lawyer, mortuary, the grocer store as she needs.

The bottom-up local approach is not flashy, fancy, get-your-pictures taken stuff. Will not be books written about you. Is actually hard, grungy, must be always non-judgemental work that is what is truly changing and rewarding.

J-I-C Steve Unruh
"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Or do without."
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.