News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Score!! Woo Hoo!!

Started by vdubnut62, October 18, 2015, 06:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdubnut62

Well, after literally years of drooling, whining, crying, and tantrum throwing, the planets aligned, fate smiled, and LOOKIE what I got! ;D
A 1917-ish Fairbanks Morse Z 3hp, an 1115 Xing Dong - ST12 genset, a Tiny Tiger 700watt 12volt-120 volt generator(pics to come later) and last but not least, a 90's vintage 'roid,
NEVER STARTED!
An old "shuttle mill" or part of one also was in the mix. Evidently they were used in the textile trade to cut shuttle blocks from dogwood.
Well it's been a long drive to and from  North Carolina, it's 7:30pm and I started this morning at 2:15am.  It was worth it!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

vdubnut62

Ok just a couple more...

Ron.
Oh, ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ; etc.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Tom Reed

Yes! Nice score. If you happen to be in northern California I'll store some of it for you.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Carlb

My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

veggie

Well done!
I know you have been searching for an opportunity to own a Roid for quite some time.
You bought enough equipment there to occupy a fella for years.!  ;D
This stuff is getting harder and harder to find, good to see that you scored some good ones.

Veggie

LowGear

The stuff dreams are made of.

vdubnut62

Thanks Guys. I'm still in shock, but I do have a long way to go. The FM evidently needs mag work, I don't know diddly about 98 year old Bosch magnetos.
 The roid has a stuck injection pump, bushed bearings on the crank and it looks to have lived outside for a short period. It is an LG brand ??? from GG automotive gears Ltd. Don't know a thing about them. Looks to have 6 head studs and is rated 8hp @1000rpm, grease cup on the rockers and oil holes too. I do need a crank handle, got a set of wrenches, muffler and air cleaner and flat belt pulley, that was it.
 The changfoid is a Xing Dong, same as my 1100. It has no compression, I figure crap under a valve, or one stuck.  Or the compression release is out of sorts. This stuff has been sitting for some time, and needs TLC.  
The Tiny Tiger has an Olson and Rice 2  stroke engine, it needs pull rope and from there it's a mystery. It looks almost new though.
Oh well, the story of my life. Aw heck, I'm still stoked! ;D ;D
Oh, and my old Dodge got a little over 17mpg for the trip, pulling a 20ft heavy gooseneck at 65-75 mph. ;D
Ron.

Anybody need a Mustang shuttle mill?

vdubnut62

The old Fairbanks Morse has Energizer Bunny in it's bloodline, I touched up the points and its been running for about 3 hours. ;D Its not hardly as old as I thought, its a 1922 model. ::)
I have pulled the door on the Roid, it's pretty clean, no sand in the sump! The timing gears are tight with no backlash that I can feel. There is some rust on just the dipstick and the connecting rod. The cam looks good and the tappets rotate really good too.  The rocker arms need shimming to line them up. I can't decide to do a complete teardown or just check the bearings and wash out the crankcase and go for it.  As soon as the starting handle comes in , maybe I will have my mind made up.
I am going to take a bunch of pics inside the engine as per George B. and his listeroid longevity CD and then make my mind up I guess.
Thanks Guys! Continue to wish me luck. Please.
Ron.

vdubnut62

Hey Guys, me again. Does anyone have a tutorial on the Mico Injector pump? Mine is stuck, as I mentioned before. I can feel the rack shaft move just a "hair", sooo I think the plunger is stuck. I think I will pull the delivery valve and squirt it full of Rem oil, since its the lightest oil that I can think of right off.
Most of you are 'way more experienced with these engines than I, so I am open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance, Ron.

Tom Reed

Just rebuilt one. Start by shooting some carb cleaner in the bottom and let it soak.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

vdubnut62

Thank you Tom! That's where I will start.
Ron.