News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Anyone a Continental engine expert?

Started by vdubnut62, January 15, 2012, 11:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdubnut62

Hi all, I have a Continental 1Y69 power unit that I want to fit with a  one bearing STC head to run 3 phase machinery in my woodworking shop (barn). Hey, it was free. :D
Its a 69 cu in  unit, 4 cylinder, flat head, hand cranked, magneto ignition, thermo-siphon cooling, I figure around 10-15 hp. It previously powered a pull type combine. It does have a removable gear reduction drive on it, and has either a SAE 4 or 5 bellhousing, I have to take the reduction off to measure it. It is a gasoline fueled outfit, but it will only run probably a couple hours a month, so I'm not too worried about fuel consumption.  I figure it was designed to run at 1800-2000 rpm, but I'm not positive about that, and I haven't been able to find any documentation that has the speed or Hp rating, so.........any ideas???

Thanks, Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

playdiesel

Your probably close on the HP rating. There is a place named Montes Or Mont's  or something like tha that has about anything for them. Go over to the Smok Stak page and look up the multi cylinder gasoline engine forum. Some purdy smart guys over there.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

vdubnut62

Thanks playdiesel, the Stak is where I came up with some of what I do have, I'll have to go dig some more. ;)
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous