News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Help with a Kohler.

Started by vdubnut62, November 03, 2011, 10:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdubnut62

Hi all,
I may have a chance at a twin cylinder Kohler genset with a 5kw head taken out of an old motorhome.
Don't have a clue how many hours are on the thing or what kind of generator, except that it is an 1800 rpm unit.
The engine has an external full flow spin on oil filter, and a gauge is screwed into the top left rear, facing the engine from the front.
The engine model is K482EP, the spec 35243b.
The boys that stripped the old motor home were pretty rough and bent up some sheetmetal on the box on top,
but the worst part is the exhaust manifold is broken off and missing the flange to mount an exhaust pipe & muffler.

Anybody know anything about one of these? Are parts still available?

Here is a bad picture of one like it that I found online.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Tom Reed

That looks like the Kohler unit we used to build into our video pipe inspection van's back in the mid '80's. They were an ok unit, but the Onan's were much better. What's your planned use?
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

vdubnut62

Oh, Duh!
Planning to use it to power my 5th wheel when in the deep weeds (seldom) and we need air conditioning, which is always in the
warmer months. The guy that has it said it turns over and if it's still there tomorrow, I can have it for $100.
What do ya'll think?

Does anybody know what kind of generator head is on this thing, and how are they on fuel?

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Tom T

The Kohler is a better engine than the Onan used I thank that thay used the Onan enging and it is junk cant get parts for them. Parts for the Kohler can be had but not some of the Onan's We scraped a lot of there welders becouse of  lack of parts. Tom T

Apogee

That's a good engine and parts are easy to get.  You should have no problems with it.

For $100, I wouldn't think twice.

Check eBay for an exhaust manifold.

Steve

vdubnut62

BioHazard

At a hundred bucks it's a no brainer!  ;D
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

vdubnut62

Well I went by today and it's still there, but the guy wasn't home. I guess it'll have to wait until tomorrow..... :'(

The guy's son and a friend stripped the motorhome & sold it for scrap, they left a big mess behind that was to be cleaned up 2 days ago, Dad's pissed, so he was going to sell me the generator.
Maybe I would have better luck if I offered to clean up and haul the mess away, hmm.
Wish me luck!
Ron

TimSR2

I agree with the others... Kohler good, Onan bad.  Kohler parts are on the shelf, and often available as pattern parts. Onan parts are made of pure unobtanium.

luv2weld

QuoteKohler good, Onan bad

I think I may be sticking my pee-pee into a hornets nest, but isn't this a whole lot like arguing Ford and Chevy (& Dodge)????
Sure there are a few lemons, no matter what brand it is. Some of them are made Friday afternoons when nobody
wants to work. Or is it Monday mornings when they are all hungover???
But if they don't get the proper care and maintenance, none of them are work a damn.
I own both Kohler and Onans, and think they are both great. So, is it just certain models that aren't worth a damn???
Bad design to begin with???
I apologize if the thread goes ballistic or viral or whatever the heck it is this week. Not trying to hijack anything.
I just think there are probably a lot of folks that like both engines. Or is it another influence, such as---"my dad (or uncle, cousin,
etc.) had an Onan and it was a piece of crap"???
Is it really as simple as "I can't find any parts, so that makes it a piece of crap!!"????
I'm sorry, I'll go have another cup of coffee. I didn't really want to fight half of the forum this morning.
I don't even know what the heck I'm trying to say. It's snowing like crazy, the wind is howling. Not a good morning.
Maybe I'll just go back to bed.

Ralph

6/1 with 5 kw ST       
8/1 with 7.5kw ST
28/2 with 24kw ST

I wouldn't need to manage my anger if people would learn to manage their stupidity!!

The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

vdubnut62

Go back to bed Ralph! Get up late, have a coffee fortified with your favorite spirit, and the world will look a lot happier, the snow a lot whiter, the fire in the stove a lot warmer, and your significant other a lot.....never mind! ;D

(I think its mostly a question of parts, but I've been inside both Onans and Kohlers, IMHO I like Kohlers a little better, Onans look like an
expensive Briggs and Stratton inside ::))

Well I snagged the  genset this morning! ;D ;D The Mighty Toyota 1 ton dually hauled it home. I will post some pics
later, after I get some sleep! Long night, 13 hours of fog, dark and dumbass wannabe drivers. I love my job ::)
Ron