News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Power out

Started by vdubnut62, June 24, 2010, 05:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdubnut62

Had a power outage here today, a thunderstorm blew trees down, took out power lines and left limbs on the lines.( It also took out my garden :'() The power died around 1:30 PM CST
but the Great Walla Walla Xing Dong rattled, vibrated, roared and made copious amounts of juice to keep the AC and lights on until the Utility guys and I got the trees cleared. The linemen thought Walla Walla was pretty cool but they were more interested in if I had the main breaker off! I can't blame them, I live around a bunch of pretty dumb people. Everything was going great until I ran out of fuel!! DOH!! I meant to check and top it off, but the linemen showed up and I got busy.
Grabbed a fuel can, pumped 5 gallons real quick, topped off the tank,  bled the lines and within 5 minutes we were back in business. All in all it worked as planned except for not being able to get the voltage down as far as I wanted. With the control turned all the way down at 60.4 hz
I still had 124 ish volts under load.
We ran for a little over 2 hours all together with success! Anyway, I'm tickled!

I have GOT to get around to building the panel for this thing and replacing the doghouse!
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Ronmar

Cool!

It is nice to see it actually serve it's purpose isn't it:). Didn't have a single power outtage this year:(
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

Carlb

i hope your are using either a transfer switch or a lockout on the main breaker that only allows you to back feed the panel when you are disconnected to the from the grid.

carl
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

vdubnut62

Don't need one! I only have two 50amp fuses, I pull them out of the main and use them to hook up the genney so I can keep lights and AC on in the tarpaper shack.  ::) 
Ron

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Carlb

i guess it can't get any safer than that if you actually have to pull the fuses from the main and place them in the generator circuit.
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

vdubnut62

LowGear

BAZINGA

I looked it up.  Not Rocket Surgery.

I like the price too.  However, I'm not very warm at all to fiddling in fuse boxes with the lights out.

Casey

Oh,  Is there a switch that senses that the grid is down and disconnects for 5 minutes after a 30 second down time?