Powerland single cylinder gasoline engines

Started by Raja11262010, May 16, 2016, 11:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raja11262010

Does anyone on this website have experience with Powerland gasoline engines, especially the PD420 model? They are Chinese made, single cylinder engines which are very reasonably priced but comments on the AMAZON website reported that Powerland engines had severe oil leaks when new. However, those remarks were posted several years ago and I do not know whether the manufacturer has solved that oil leak problem.

I am especially interested in a) information about the quality and reliability of Powerland engines b) whether it is possible to obtain replacement parts

Number21

If you're looking for a Honda clone, I would strongly suggest one of the Harbor Freight Predator engines. They are always available cheap, and probably one of the more common clones available. They have good reviews online, and you can buy a 1 or 2 year warranty from Harbor Freight rather cheaply. The other thing is these engines are commonly used in go kart racing, they have developed a lot of aftermarket parts and good knowledge available on various forums. People crank huge horsepower out of these things and they still seem to hold together rather well. If something does break you're probably more likely to find a part from a Predator engine than anything else.

Raja11262010

number 21

"...I would strongly suggest one of the Harbor Freight Predator engines."

I am well aware of the Predator engines and agree they are of good quality, reasonably priced and therefore a good buy. But like virtually all the one cylinder engines on the market, Predator engines lack a balance shaft and therefore vibrate a great deal. I have been attracted to the Powerland engines in part because of the balance shaft but I can't identify anyone who has used one for a considerable time and can testify to their reliability or who knows which Chinese company manufactures them. A brief statement on Wiki-answers stated they are Briggs & Stratton clones but I can not verify that assertion.

I am also looking a LIFAN engines which are of excellent quality.

LowGear

How much more are genuine Honda engines?

Casey

Number21

Quote from: Raja11262010 on June 03, 2016, 10:15:08 AM
A brief statement on Wiki-answers stated they are Briggs & Stratton clones but I can not verify that assertion.

Could be. I have an early Harbor Freight 79cc engine, which as best I can tell is a copy of the Briggs Vanguard of the same size. I think HF may have been using a different supplier back when they called the engines "greyhound", that's what mine is.

I didn't realize the Powerland engines had a balance shaft, do the equivalent size Briggs engines also have a balance shaft?

Lately the Briggs engines have started looking a lot like one of the clones themselves...but probably all original parts design.