News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

The Waukesha....(Finally!)

Started by Dualfuel, April 10, 2015, 07:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualfuel

So....
A local junkyard is closing and I have been asked to remove this 100kw Waukesha powered generator. He wanted several thousand dollars, now its "get it out of here before I lose it". I am waiting for the load restrictions to go off and then we are going to put it on a lowboy and get it home.
The Waukesha is 1200cid, 6cyl., natural gas fueled and turns the 6 pole generator at 1200rpm.
My complaint is that, when this generator came in, it was fully functional and complete. Now its stuck and parts are missing...grrrr. I doubt I will ever hear it run but I remain hopeful.
I thought it would make an interesting post, because it seems to demonstrate a truism, namely that giant generators are relatively cheap per pound, while microgenerators are really expensive.

LowGear

I'll bet there's a lot of copper in that generator.  ;D

OK, I woke up this morning a little grumpy.  Neat looking machine.

Casey

Horsepoor

What do figure the unit as it sits now weighs?

Dualfuel

Unknown...although a Prentice G picked it up...so probably no more then 3 ton.

Dualfuel

Over the weekend, I moved the Waukesha from the abandoned junk yard to a friend's house. He took the Waukesha off the equipment trailer with a Hitachi 160 excavator...it was close, very close. The excavator tipped up on one track for part of the job, and the Waukesha was chained to the joint where the boom meets the arm.
Next, I going to dedicate a trailer to the Waukesha so I don't have to go through this anymore.

Sorry no pictures....I was too busy mother henning the various moves and lifts.
The only damage was a bent shroud covering the fan.