Harbor Freight Predator V-twin engine

Started by Thob, February 02, 2015, 04:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thob

I noticed that horrible freight now sells a (presumably Chinese) clone:

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engines/22-hp-670cc-v-twin-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-61614.html

I don't want to start a "that's a piece of junk" war but the picture shows a muffler and oil cooler come with it for $700.  With a 20% off coupon, that becomes $560.  If you live close to an HF store, it might be a way to experiment "on the cheap".
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

Henry W

This engine might be pretty good. From what I been seeing coming from China lately has been much higher quality. I guess we get some info soon on these engines.

Carlb

I have one of the older harbor freight greyhound 11hp with electric start on a old large frame Cub Cadet snow blower that I rescued. This engine is a clone of the honda gx engine and honda parts will interchange.  I have run it for 3 or 4 years on my snowblower and it has been a great little engine.  Starts on the first pull don't need the electric starter.   

Many of the people that I know that have rescued old snow blowers use the smaller 6.5hp predator on theirs and none have had a failure yet.  The 6.5's are hugely popular in the karting comunity.
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

mobile_bob

+1 for the predator 6.5hp engines

they are a hell of a buy in my opinion
and for whatever reason they are noticeably quieter than my gx160 honda's?

they are onsale this month too for 99 bucks at HF

bob g

Tom Reed

I put one of those 6.5 engines on a tiller for a friend. Worked great, unless you hit a big root and then it had so much power that the tiller would want to fly in the air.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

playdiesel

Before you count out your money read the fine print on that 20% off coupon because I believe engines are on the list of things you cannot use them for. That being said I had read that if you raise a big enough stink at the store they will allow the use on any purchase.

I have purchased and installed a dozen HF engines and the current black colored predator engine while not a bad engine for the buck differs from the older blue "Greyhound" line which were Honda clones and all around better built engines.

Back when they were changing over and as soon as I realized what was happening I stocked up on the blue ones while they were on clearance.  ;D ;D
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Carlb

Quote from: playdiesel on February 04, 2015, 07:45:30 PM
Before you count out your money read the fine print on that 20% off coupon because I believe engines are on the list of things you cannot use them for. That being said I had read that if you raise a big enough stink at the store they will allow the use on any purchase.

I have purchased and installed a dozen HF engines and the current black colored predator engine while not a bad engine for the buck differs from the older blue "Greyhound" line which were Honda clones and all around better built engines.

Back when they were changing over and as soon as I realized what was happening I stocked up on the blue ones while they were on clearance.  ;D ;D

I did the same thing with the blue greyhound engines when they were blowing them out.  I was able to buy the 6.5hp engines for $74.00 with a 6.95 shipping fee.  I bought 3@74 dollars and paid one shipping fee of 6.95. :)

As far as the coupon goes I went on line and put the V-twin engine in my cart applied a 20% off coupon which lowered the price by 140.00 and then shipping was 6.95.  i did not buy the engine but if you buy it online the coupon code will be applied.  No reason to go to the store with 6.95 shipping.
My Projects

vdubnut62

I have 2 of the Predator, and 1 Greyhound 6 1/2. The Blue 'un has a stress crack in the block, while it runs absolutely fine, the oil disappears overnight ???
The black ones power a pressure washer and a Troy-Bilt Horse. The Predator has more power at half throttle than the old Tecumseh ever had at any speed. Hang a root or rock and it will literally smoke the belt.
I like the fuel shutoff, so I can run the carbs dry before I store 'em.
All have been pretty much trouble free after installing a decent spark plug.( Nippondenso/bosch/etc.)  NO experience with the V-twin!
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

playdiesel

Quote from: vdubnut62 on February 05, 2015, 01:16:19 PM

All have been pretty much trouble free after installing a decent spark plug.( Nippondenso/bosch/etc.)  NO experience with the V-twin!
Ron.

Ya Ron, I forgot that part. The OEM plug is usually only good to make sure it runs in case it needs to go back. I use whatever brand is sold locally for Honda same size.  Other thing that is weak on them is the low oil sensor. Next thing to check after the plug  when one of them starts cutting out is to unplug the oil sensor.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Tom T

Quote from: playdiesel on February 05, 2015, 06:44:27 PM
Quote from: vdubnut62 on February 05, 2015, 01:16:19 PM

Ron.

Ya Ron, I forgot that part. The OEM plug is usually only good to make sure it runs in case it needs to go back. I use whatever brand is sold locally for Honda same size.  Other thing that is weak on them is the low oil sensor. Next thing to check after the plug  when one of them starts cutting out is to unplug the oil sensor.

A few years ago some one brought me a generator they had it had just a few hours on it it would start and run for a short time and die it had been in the shop some where else they said it was fixed and sent it home they wen camping with it and same old thing start and die so I got started it and it died I knew it had been in the shop I had the paper work and knew what they did so started looking at it and the fix was about a cup  of oil called them they came in and I had a good laugh they were mad and headed for the place  that charged them to fix it I don't know if they got there money back or  not.

Carlb

the low oil shutoffs are a pain in the butt on tillers and snow blowers, fine on generators, log splitters, compressors and power washers.  I have an 11hp one on a snow blower and i just disconnected it.

I really don't like the low oil shutoffs on these small engines since i usually check my oil before use and if there is a oil leak i will see it since i keep my equipment pretty clean.
My Projects

mobile_bob

i first started using the honda gx160's about 20 years ago, and out of three of them
all had the low oil shutdown fail.

disconnected them all and kept right on going.

so as far as the chinese clone engines and the low oil shutdowns, i would recommend doing without them... heck if honda couldn't be relied on, why complain about chinese failures.

for the price it just about doesn't pay to screw with a tiller or washer engine , just pull it off and replace it, and back in business.

i put them on local farmers bolony tank compressors and get a 50 dollar markup on the engine
and everyone is happy.

so are they have all kept doing what the farmers expect out of them, i suspect they only use them intermittently to air up a flat tire and how often does that happen?

all i know is this, i would have given a left nut to have had a pair of these 6.5 hp engine's back in the early 70's when i built a twin engine gokart that used two 5 hp briggs engines.   two of these 6.5 probably would have gotten me killed!

no governors and klotz nitro additive, yahooooo!
;)

bob g

Tom T

Bob you should have just put a 500 BSA or  a Norton on it and called it good:)   Tom T

Quote from: mobile_bob on February 06, 2015, 12:01:16 PM
i first started using the honda gx160's about 20 years ago, and out of three of them
all had the low oil shutdown fail.

disconnected them all and kept right on going.

so as far as the chinese clone engines and the low oil shutdowns, i would recommend doing without them... heck if honda couldn't be relied on, why complain about chinese failures.

for the price it just about doesn't pay to screw with a tiller or washer engine , just pull it off and replace it, and back in business.

i put them on local farmers bolony tank compressors and get a 50 dollar markup on the engine
and everyone is happy.

so are they have all kept doing what the farmers expect out of them, i suspect they only use them intermittently to air up a flat tire and how often does that happen?

all i know is this, i would have given a left nut to have had a pair of these 6.5 hp engine's back in the early 70's when i built a twin engine gokart that used two 5 hp briggs engines.   two of these 6.5 probably would have gotten me killed!

no governors and klotz nitro additive, yahooooo!
;)

bob g