News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Ford 2.3L For Gen Set

Started by BigGreen, August 20, 2014, 04:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigGreen

It's hurricane season down here so I have been tinkering with the gen set.
I have a 1997 Ranger that is on its last leg body and chassis wise but the drivetrain is still in great shape.
I'm thinking of replacing my 25/2 with the 2.3L direct coupled to my ST-15 and run the engine at 1800 rpm.

Is this a bad idea?

Thanks
Dave

Tom Reed

What's the problem with the 25/2? That Ford engine is commonly used as a stationary engine. You will need a governor and new engine management system at least or you could switch it to a carb.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

BigGreen

The wife can't start the 25/2. It requires prep work to fire it up. Pull the sump cover, pre oil the gears, bearings, etc.
It would be nice to go to something a bit more modern. Flip a switch, push a button and it's running.
After nine years of owning the roid the novelty has worn off.

I assume I can pull the PCM from the truck and use that. That would be the hard part for me.

I can devise a PID speed controller using either a PIC or Arduino to drive either a linear or rotary actuator.

LowGear

QuoteAfter nine years of owning the roid the novelty has worn off.

She's put up with that beast for nine years (the roid) and now you want to put a home made thing in and call it modern?  Have you considered selling these two sets of machinery and just buying a brand new out of the box generator that runs on gasoline or LP or NG and has auto start with auto switching?  You could call it the best damn mothers day present you ever bought her.  And be a hero.  And smirk at storm warnings.    And put a couple of solar panels on the roof and get a 30% tax credit.

Just thinking BigGreen.

Casey

vdubnut62

Well! And just take all the DIY Caveman factor out of it? Anybody can just go buy a setup, but not anyone can build one.  Casey, your Man Card is in danger of revocation. Again!. ;D
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Tom Reed

Fair enough reason to remove the 25/2. In my case there's a big battery bank so the run times can be scheduled when convenient. And I still love to hear the sound of that 6/1 thumping away.

On the Ford engine, I believe you'll need to send the PCM to a modifier to delete the inputs that are expected on a vehicle, but no longer there in a stationary app. A friend of mine had to do this when transplanting a gm 4.3l V6 into a Jeep.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

BigGreen

Thanks for the input.

I was afraid the PCM wouldn't be plug and play. This would be my hurdle. I thought maybe I could fool some of the inputs such as O2 sensors.
Selling what I have for something more suitable was my first though but where's the fun in that. However, this will probably be the route I'll take this fall.

vdubnut62

Are you planning to run on pump gas or propane, natural gas, or.....?
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

QuoteCasey, your Man Card is in danger of revocation. Again!.

Aw, Come On!  I got the 90 day drunk merit badge and Hell, just last week I put a spark plug in the Honda with a cross style breaker bar (couldn't find my teeth ;D).  I'm sorry but I've paid my dues.  At 70, we pass through the "prove it" barrier and start living life for #1 as if we were in it for #2 or #3 (I don't know your sugar daddy program).  And YUP! I'm playing the age card.  And, AND I didn't go completely off track and suggest BigGreen take the best of three bids.  Remember that the US IRS doesn't require a licensed installer for the tax credit program.

I've put a couple of 5+ year projects to bed this year and find it to be really rewarding. 

Isn't there an IOS app that sounds like the 6-1?

Casey

BigGreen

vdubnut62

Ok Casey, that'll give ya a 365 year extension contingent on you holding the Wife or Girlfriend's purse while she shops for toe socks at Victoria's Secret. :D

Wow! Big Green that is one sweet setup! But what are you going to do fuelwise for the Ford?
Ron.

BigGreen

Quote from: vdubnut62 on August 25, 2014, 08:36:33 AM
Wow! Big Green that is one sweet setup! But what are you going to do fuelwise for the Ford?
Ron.
I would feed it RUG. No NG out here. I could get a propane tank but the easiest would be gas.
I quickly decided to leave the truck intact and pursue a different upgrade path.

Thanks
Dave