Blashphemy! (Or what engine do you like best?)

Started by Dualfuel, February 14, 2013, 09:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

The Ford 1600cc was an off-shoot from European road racing IIRC, their finish two laps with oil drained-out build. The 2000cc evolution of it lost that magic.

I nabbed a neighbors '99 Chevrolet Metro (for trade-in value) with the 1000cc Suzuki 3-cylinder in it & was impressed with the simplicity & repair friendly underhood layout. After two years and 12k miles, with a total of $900 invested, it had paid for itself almost 2x in fuel not burned in the F150. Then I sold it for $500. I had better offers from a guy wanting it for a generator engine but I would've had to walk home from Northern California...

SteveU.

Hey Henry
Here is a fellow who agrees with your Ford all cast iron 2.3L SOHC four cylinder engine choice.
Pictures here of him adapting one to fuel on woodgas fuel. This is a serious effort. I've been foolowing along on his gasifier developement.
I expect to hear engine run resuslts soon.

http://driveonwood.com/forum/909

Regards
Steve Unruh
"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Or do without."
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.

Henry W

Hi Steve.

The 2.3 OHC engine shown will run good on lower speeds like 1800 rpm's. Look at the intake manifold. The intake runners are very narrow and the carb that is on it is a small CFM type carb. The manifold and carb combination will help atomize liquid type fuels like gasoline. If propane or natural gas is used there no need to worry about fuel atomization.

Very nice power-pac unit. Need to keep checking back on the sight to see the progress.

Henry

SteveU.

Hi Henry
Here are more pictures on his basic engine-gen system:
"removing LP gas plumbing to hook up NG hose"
http://driveonwood.com/forum/767
Very long wordy three party exchanges on his mixer/carburation/plumbing system. You can read why I chose NOT to bring up yet his ex-gasoline manifold restiction . . . yet.
Let him here it run on woodgas first for the first time; experience learn and even have to probably upgrade his gasifier reactor and filtertrain side of it. When he still complains of low output power I will then suggest a temerature cool, less restictive manifolding.
You can read I have already set up for this giving him a link to your system pictures.

Regards
Steve Unruh
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.

TimSR2

Anybody here driven a new  Pentastar engine car ?  It will knock your socks off. Variable valve timing is THE voodoo magic.  The Pentastar  will save Chrysler again, all by itself. 

Tom Reed

Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Tom T

Tom Reed

My daily driver is a '74 Scout II so I'm with you there.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Carlb

Variable Valve Timing is nothing new. 

Alfa Romeo introduced VVT in a production car in 1980
Nissan introduced VVT in 1986
Honda introduced VVT in 1989

Nissan has been building the normally aspirated VQ35 and vq37 series V6 engines since 2001.  This engine has always had Variable Valve timing and the newest ones also have direct injection.

The vq series engine has been on Wards 10 best engines every year from 2001 to 2008.
Horsepower ratings are as high as 330hp in the 3.7 liter version.

Carl

My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

TimSR2

Quote from: Tom on February 22, 2013, 11:12:31 AM
The name sounds demonic.

Wow, I didn't realize what an 'eternal salvation' trap I was walking into here.

Blasphemy, penta, and demonic all in one thread. Hmm.  Maybe Pentastar was a poor choice of name, for an engine intended  to be sold in the Bible belt of USA.  :-\

Henry W

Since I will be using the Ford LRG-425 engine to spin a 27 Kw, 1800 rpm head, a fixed cam timing setup is all the engine will ever need.

This engine was set up to run between 1800 to 3600 rpm. So installing an adjustable cam sprocket and setting up cam timing properly to run at 1800 rpm should yield some impressive results.

Henry

Henry W

Here are some differant styles of adjustable cam sprockets that are available for the Ford 2.3 and 2.5 liter style OHC engines.

I am thinking of machining a new OEM stock cam sprocket that is steel on the lathe at work. Take a look at the sproaket pictured in the center.

The origional ones sold from Racer Walsh was OEM sprockets machined to accept their adjustable center flange.

As far as I understand, all new round touth sprockets made from all aftermarket companies are made out of aluminum and than anodized for better wear. I am old fashon and prefer steel.

Henry

SteveU.

Hi Henry
Here is the first woodgas fueled system run on that fellows Onan 2.3L SOHC Ford. He is saying a solid 5100 watts loaded:
http://driveonwood.com/forum/914
His 53 minute video of this (no, I cannot load up and view this long of posting so let me know if this is worth leaving up please!):
www.youtube.com/user/docdcox
video with the name starting with SUCCESS.

Regards
Steve Unruh

Henry W

It loaded. I went through sections and it is very intresting. I need to find time to watch the complete clip.

Thanks for posting it.

Henry