News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Smokeed engine

Started by Tom T, November 04, 2009, 07:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom T

Just checking to see if any one is doning any thing with gas generators. I just smoked the engine on a small one so need a new engine:( thank I will go with a Honda about a ten horse. T

rcavictim

Tom,

Have you considered getting one of those 10 HP air cooled diesels like the Launtop?  I bought the 6 HP electric start version from Princess Auto last spring for a great deal.  I am waiting to find a suitable 2 bearing alternator for it.  The higher efficiency and ability to multi-fuel are the positives for me.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Tom T

8Whtis the rpm range? Do you have a sorce for them?  T

rcavictim

In Canada Princess Auto carries them.  I think the useable power band is from 2000 or so to 3600.  I'd probably set pulley sizes on mine to run 2500-2800 RPM in the encouragemnent of longevity.

There was a gentleman on the old forum who was selling them in Ontario.  I think it was trigsy iirc.

One of the fellows here has one. Did a very nice job making a portable plant with it.  See the video here.
http://www.youtube.com/user/gosub283#p/a/u/2/dXy6uQBj7YY
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

rbodell

Quote from: Tom T on November 04, 2009, 07:47:05 PM
Just checking to see if any one is doning any thing with gas generators. I just smoked the engine on a small one so need a new engine:( thank I will go with a Honda about a ten horse. T

Consider the hours and use of the generator. If it has low hours and you are using it as an emergency generator, It might be worth the time and trouble. Most 3600 rpm generator heads have a life expectancy of around 3,000, about the same as the engine.

Also remember that the gen head most likely doesn't have a bearing in the end that attaches to the engine so you can't belt drive it. Most of the time it is just a bushing.

If it is going to be used for extended use or 24/7 use, consider low rpm diesel engines. Also look into the ST type gen heads. They are made in china if you have a thing about buying chinese, but they are designed for 24/7 use. Now that I have my Listeroid, I would never have anything else for a generator or water pump.

I don't know how easy they are to come by in the USA any more or price, but The price I paid for mine was about the same as a small 3600 rpm diesel generator, $3,000. Comparing a Listeroid with an st head to a regular diesel generator is like comparing a fire truck to your kids toy fire truck.

I am looking forward to senility,
you meet so many new friends
every day.

Tom T

Thanks for the in put I knew about the end shaft berring and will probely stick with the same kind of engine less hassel I thank the Hoda is the best for it. Its just a knock around the one I take to the brush. T