Smallest water cooled gas engine?

Started by BioHazard, October 13, 2010, 10:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdubnut62

Polaris ATV's engines are, well at least they used to be, separate from the transmission. The tranny was belt driven with a cvt system.
I once owned a 425 cc single with 4 valves and water cooling. The only drawback is the the crankshaft has a taper, sort of like
the crankshaft on a consumer grade generator. I woiuld assume that the Polaris snowmobiles are built the same. 
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

wiebe

Try a 5hp honda outboard engine yve got one and its runs nice .
Its single cilinder 127cc 4 stroke .its heavy.
kubota knd3

BioHazard

Quote from: wiebe on October 25, 2010, 06:00:00 AM
Try a 5hp honda outboard engine yve got one and its runs nice .
Its single cilinder 127cc 4 stroke .its heavy.
Hmmm...I didn't even think about Honda outboards. That's probably what they based the engine off of in their cogen system, I was thinking more lawnmower inspired. I found that Mercury makes a 3.5hp/5 cubic inch 4 cycle outboard...though I imagine I couldn't touch one for less than a thousand dollars.

Also the problem with an outboard or motorcycle engine is how would I govern it?

I think I'm going to go ahead with my water cooled lawnmower experiment, I have a 6.5hp/190cc Briggs OHV engine that would be the perfect size. If I can manage to make it water cooled without significant modification to the engine block, it would be extremely easy and cheap to replace the whole shortblock every now and then.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

cognos

Here's a small water-cooled engine. 80 ccs, comes with it's own fan for your forced-air furnace. 2 stroke, can run on alternative fuels you make at home - ethanol and castor oil! Has a total-loss lubrication system, so you can recover the oil from the exhaust and use it again! 11,500 rpm, mount it in any position you want.

;D

vdubnut62

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

BioHazard

Quote from: vdubnut62 on November 02, 2010, 10:47:18 AM
Would this help anybody out? 200cc water cooled and the price seems reasonable.
Ron

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200cc-ATV-Quad-Go-Kart-Engine-Motor-Water-cooled-Lifan-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem23076d8c19QQitemZ150448475161QQptZGoQ5fKarts
Thats exactly what I want, but too bad I could never trust future parts availability. I'm still clueless about hooking up some sort of governor to an engine like that or from any other small vehicle?

vdubnut62

A couple options...

http://www.tradeindia.com/fp428684/Universal-Electronic-Engine-Governor-Controller.html

http://www.foleyengines.com/CartAdmin/Images/UserDir/GovernorDocumentation3.pdf
this one has an email link at the bottom

There are belt drive governors around... just gotta dig. I saw a couple at a yard sale a few years ago, but I didn't  know anyone that needed one then.
Look for  junk industrial equipment powered by Chrysler, Ford , or GM automotive type engines.
Oh and the engine is , I think, a Honda clone. If it is, it's a direct copy and Honda parts fit. At least that's what I've been told
about the "Chonda's".
Ron

BioHazard

Hmmm...that would be fantastic if Honda parts fit. I'll have to do some more research on that engine!

SHIPCHIEF

Onan made lots of Marine CCK gensets. (edit: Marine CCK's are water cooled and have a raw water pump that might be useful as a circ pump) Then you would have your natural gas COGEN heart. After that you build the system with more storage capacity because the engine is a bit too large. But a used Marine CCK is going to be the cheapest and toughest you can get. Just shop around.
I see them on Craigslist several times a year. I just don't have natural gas yet, although it's just a couple of houses away.