350 Chevy V8 engine for power generation?

Started by BioHazard, August 07, 2010, 04:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Windt

Some random thoughts on this thread -

a propane fuelled engine does not need a choke and will idle comfortably within seconds of startup

use the smallest carb' that will run your expected max' load, much easier for a governer to control, look at forklift carb's and Impco 125s or 225s

do use a good thermostat to prevent cold running and fouling, I use a 160o for non-computer road engines, you may like to go higher for your heat application

a propane fuelled engine should not carbon or gum up and there will be less bore wear as there is no wet fuel washing away the oil -but- the oil will gradually become more acidic even though it looks fine, do not neglect regular oil changes or your bearings will suffer

a cam built for towing applications will have less overlap and max' torque under 2000 rpm, both are desirable characteristics for propane and woodgas

Cheers
Rob
http://nakedmechanic.blogspot.com/

admin

good to see another wood gas guy joining the group,

i see we have been picking up a few more of you guys, it should prove interesting reading
for those of us that have not done anything with this alternative fuel.

bob g

rcavictim

A gasoline engine is only about half as efficient as a diesel.  Gasoline and diesel fuel cost about the same at the pump.  Over the first year the fuel savings of going with a small diesel right out of the gate rather than messing with that 350 chevy engine will likely pay for the extra the diesel engine costs.  After that you will be saving a ton of money on your fuel, unless you get your gasoline for free.  With the diesel in place you also get the added utility of using waste motor oil and many other oils that can be had cheap if you are resourceful.  I really believe that spending the trouble implementing that 350 chevy SB engine is time and money down the drain.  That said, if you had natural gas available from the street my opinion would be subject to reconsideration
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

BioHazard

Quote from: rcavictim on December 17, 2010, 06:55:22 AM
A gasoline engine is only about half as efficient as a diesel.  Gasoline and diesel fuel cost about the same at the pump.  Over the first year the fuel savings of going with a small diesel right out of the gate rather than messing with that 350 chevy engine will likely pay for the extra the diesel engine costs.

Well, think about it like this. Some people burn propane, or diesel fuel for heating, without making any electricity what so ever! I think I will end up going the natural gas route, but, if I bought a couple hundred gallons of gas for a generator it wouldn't be much different than buying a couple hundred gallons of diesel for a furnace. Just think of the V8 like a gasoline furnace. Current price for gasoline is $3.03, diesel is $3.39...both qualify for a tax rebate if you're not using it for road fuel. Natural gas of course is only about $1.12.....
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

rcavictim

Quote from: BioHazard on December 17, 2010, 07:54:42 PM
Quote from: rcavictim on December 17, 2010, 06:55:22 AM
A gasoline engine is only about half as efficient as a diesel.  Gasoline and diesel fuel cost about the same at the pump.  Over the first year the fuel savings of going with a small diesel right out of the gate rather than messing with that 350 chevy engine will likely pay for the extra the diesel engine costs.

Well, think about it like this. Some people burn propane, or diesel fuel for heating, without making any electricity what so ever! I think I will end up going the natural gas route, but, if I bought a couple hundred gallons of gas for a generator it wouldn't be much different than buying a couple hundred gallons of diesel for a furnace. Just think of the V8 like a gasoline furnace. Current price for gasoline is $3.03, diesel is $3.39...both qualify for a tax rebate if you're not using it for road fuel. Natural gas of course is only about $1.12.....

You speak about a tax rebate as though you believe there will be a stable government and financial system in place come tax time.  You also speak of purchasing gasoline as though you believe that it will be available and that the worthless fiat paper  that you have in your pocket will still be accepted as currency in exchange for hard goods.  If you are mistaken think of how much more comfortable you could potentially be with a nice little diesel engine and a box of spare parts.  Just sayin'.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

mobile_bob

the one advantage to burning propane or cng is its infinite shelf life and if you have a tank large enough you can buy off season
and get a better rate generally.

also a gaseous fuel burning genset can be made to burn wood gas, in a time when that might be necessary having our guys and their section
of this forum will likely be very popular.

bob g

BioHazard

Ah hell, I like camping. I can keep myself perfectly happy with no electricity and no fossil fuel!  :o ;D
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?