we are expanding the forum...

Started by mobile_bob, February 01, 2011, 12:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

as many already know, and more probably have figured it out already
the lister engine forum (listerengine.com) will be merging with our forum sometime in the very near future.

there have been a few structural changes made here at microcogen.info to accommodate the resource information
contained in the listerengine forum and its membership.

many of our members are either active members over there, or have been at some point in the past. those folks will find the change
fairly easy to follow and probably not much of a big deal, however those that are unaware of our forum might find the change a bit
unsettling so we would ask the membership to do what we can to help those new members feel at home after the change has taken place.

Everyone at the lister engine forum knows Andrew as the moderator, most of us know him here as well, he goes by "T19" for those that
do not know.  Andrew has many years experience as the only moderator of the lister engine forum and has agreed to come over in the merger
and take on the responsibilities as one of three administrators and do some moderating as well.

for the most part the plan is to integrate the listerengine forum content into the "prime mover" and "alternator/generator " sections where most of the LEF content will easily merge with area's we already have. this will enable discussions currently underway on the LEF to continue
on as normal. Other LEF content that cannot be merged into those sections will find appropriate places elsewhere or be archived.

the goal is to protect all the content of the LEF and make it available to everyone, now and also down the road.

there may be a few minor glitches or issues that some folks might not like, and we will work to try to accommodate those requests that are
deemed both reasonable and doable, however we all need to keep in mind that there might well be some things in the change that cannot be
rectified to everyones liking and we will just have to learn to live with it.

with this merger we expect a renewed sense of purpose, many more members from the merger and much more attention from the search engines that will likely bring even more attention to our forum.

we would like to take the time to thank everyone that has worked to make this merger a reality, and continue to work behind the scenes to make this as smooth a change as possible.

now it is up to all of us to work to make the new "MICROCOGEN.INFO/ LEF/ SOMRAD" forum the finest forum  of its type on the internet.

there might be a time in the next couple weeks where the forum will go down into "maintenance" mode so that the merge can be completed
we will post a message or send out a bulk email letting everyone know of the time this is to take place. so if you log on and get a message
about being in maintenance mode don't worry we will be back up and running soon after that.

thanks to the current and future members for your continued support and participation
without which no forum can survive.

bob g

mike90045

This development is even more awesome than the wire spool / converted water wheel, or the crawler windmill.

Thanks to both forum owners and admins.

Mike

dieselgman

Bravo guys! This resource is a beautiful example of cooperation, and a great use of modern technology in support of yesterday's technology. I am very pleased with the merger plans and will continue to steer my customers this way for the wealth of experience and information on all things Lister and small-scale power generation.

dieselgman
Diesel Electric
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.

Tom Reed

For members of both forums who don't have the same handle on both forums, how are the 2 user id's going to be merged? I've got a lot of history on LEF (else ware to by we won't go into that).
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

AdeV

Quote from: Tom on February 01, 2011, 10:35:54 AM
For members of both forums who don't have the same handle on both forums, how are the 2 user id's going to be merged? I've got a lot of history on LEF (else ware to by we won't go into that).

Yeah, that's the $6,000,000 question...

I will e-mail anyone who has a duplicate username/email address, asking them which ID they'd like to use. My plan is then to change any posts by the ID being dropped to the ID being kept, as part of the merge.

It sounds complicated, and it is... I'll be doing a few practice runs first anyway.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

Tom Reed

Good thing there aren't 5k members.  :P How are you going to know who has the dups??? Email addresses might work for about 80%. I was buttie on the old board, but I'll keep Tom as I seem to be able to remember that better.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

mobile_bob

perhaps those with two names could reapply using a hyphenated name
useing the hyphen between both screen names

that way should someone want to do a search he could do so using either of the names?

might be easier in the short run, however it artificially inflates or membership

so that might not be a good idea,

perhaps those with two name keep one for the merged forum and post their old name in their bio line so
that one could search back using that name if necessary.

reestablishing the member post count is the easy part, not sure how easy it is to attach one name to a change over on all the back posts

but that is what we have our resident guru for :)

thanks Ade!

bob g

AdeV

No problem bob - head-scratching database problems are my stock-in-trade...  ::)

Posts are referenced by member ID (a unique number - sorry Prisoner fans, you ARE a number  ;)), but also a posting name (to handle situations where the poster is no longer a member). I've not tried it yet, but I suspect I can simply modify the member ID on incoming posts to match the user's new ID (either existing MCG ID, or migrated LEF ID), but keep the "user name" as-was; so members with different screen names will be able to see which posts came from which place.

At least, I think that's how it'll work.... still investigating...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5

Tom Reed

Yup, databases are my stock and trade too. If ya need some help give a shout.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

BigGreen

When will LEF as we know it cease to be available? There are some very old threads on there I want to archive on my own. Concepts, ideas and available component type stuff. Things i have been kicking around for years but never implemented. I know where they are now so I better grab them.

Thanks

AdeV

Quote from: BigGreen on February 01, 2011, 03:10:02 PM
When will LEF as we know it cease to be available? There are some very old threads on there I want to archive on my own. Concepts, ideas and available component type stuff. Things i have been kicking around for years but never implemented. I know where they are now so I better grab them.

Thanks

BG,

ALL Lister Engine Forum posts will be retained. Some will be merged into existing forums on MCG (where there's a 100%, or near as damnit, subject overlap); those which don't fit comfortably will either continue to exist exactly as they are now in LEF; others will be retained but archived.

I believe I speak for all of the admins when I say: No posts will be deleted! Therefore, LEF, and the knowledge retained within, will remain 100% available to all.

That said - if you wish to archive off certain threads yourself, then absolutely feel free to do so. If it's an all-text thread, then the Print view will show you the entire thread in one shot. If there are pictures involved, then you'll need to save/print it page-at-a-time in order to capture the images.

In fact, here's a proposal for you: If you're feeling generous, and if the thread(s) in question are likely to be beneficial to a wide audience, why not  turn the thread(s) into a document, with pictures, etc.; stick your name on the front page as "compiled by:", turn it into a PDF - and we can start off a Lister Engine Library.

Also: The Lister Engine forum address will, as has been stated elsewhere, continue to exist, and it will continue to point to the Lister Engine Forum - it's just that as well as LEF it will be the MicroCoGen and SOMRAD forum.

Now.... if we can just add a board to cover the Detroit 12v71 2-stroke diesel, then I will be in 7th heaven...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5

mobile_bob

ahhh... the "buzzin dozen"  (12v71 detroit)

bob g

Tom T

I thought it was the slobbering dozen.:)  Tom T

mobile_bob

thats only at idle!

;)

one of the most impressive semi tractors i ever had the pleasure to work on and then test drive "bobtail" was a cabover freighliner
with  a 12v71TTA detroit  (twin turbo w/aftercooler) factory rated at 575hp

it would break lose all four rear drive wheels going from 6th to 7th gear at 40mph when you step on its tail,  thats an awesome feeling when
it is a rare hot rod that can do that going from 3 to 4th gear  with just two tires on the ground and rolling at 40 mph.  that was 1979 and the truck was used to pull a special multi axle lowboy to haul an earthmover around.

i don't think there was a smoother diesel ever built to use in a truck, 12 cylinder 2stroke, makes such a smooth silky feel when the power comes on.

i am pretty sure i had the biggest woody of my life climbing back out of the cab of that truck.

sorry guys for going off topic, but if you never experienced a 12v71 you really ought to!

bob g

flywheel

Quote from: mobile_bob on February 01, 2011, 04:52:09 PM
ahhh... the "buzzin dozen"  (12v71 detroit)

bob g

That kind of reminds me back when I was still working - we would refer to Case heavy equipment as a case of bad judgement, it seems they had more problems than the other brands.
                                                                                                               flywheel
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.