News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Induction Motor as a Generator

Started by Halfcrazy, January 17, 2010, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andymil

Does anyone know where I can get Bill Rodgers book "Home Power Producers Guide to Electrical Reality".  Utterpower.com says they are sold out.

highwater

Got mine from utterpower.
Only place I know of.
Took awhile to get it.
Surely they are having more printed.

Randall

vdubnut62

Got mine from  Utterpower too.  Checked Amazon and E-pay, none are available! I guess you will have to  hope for a reprint.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

I googled ""Home Power Producers Guide to Electrical Reality" and on page one found a site that indicated a free full download.  I got spooked and closed the site.  It's your computer.

Casey

mobile_bob

anyone uploading copyrighted material online without permission
from the author is committing a crime, and anyone that knowingly downloads
such material is complicit in that crime.

please fellas don't do this sort of thing, it is stealing from the author, which likely will result in the author not publishing more of their work.

its a rare technical book that turns out to make the author any real money to start with, so lets not make his efforts less fruitful by taking from him without his permission.

bob g

LowGear

Amen bob g

To me the law is a nice to know thing but clipping a real person for a couple of bucks is just punk.

Casey

What's the going price? ::)

mobile_bob

i just checked utterpower.com, and George has Bills book back in stock
i think it is around 26 bucks or so,

having reviewed the book back in '07, right after it came out, i still stand by
what i said in the review, it is probably the best book on home engine driven power
generation out there...

i avidly collect such books and haven't come across anything since then that is as good.

Bill does an excellent job with an induction generator, and how to do it right.

his explanation of power factor and power factor correction is related in a manner that most will be able to understand it and do what is needed to improve their system.

those that don't fully understand power factor and why it is important will at least come away with why they should be concerned with this area of power production particularly if they are offgrid.

as for the price of the book, i know i have spent many times more on gas just driving to used book stores looking for books on the subject each year, let alone the cost of books that i may have found that had bits and pieces of the puzzle that Bill seems to have tied together in one resource quite nicely.

we need more books like this written by more folks like Bill and other diy'ers that can help educate us all on the various aspects of offgrid power production, cogen, and all the various other stuff that seems to dovetail nicely with what we are trying to do.

anyone wanting a copy of Bills book go to www.utterpower.com and click on books
you will then be directed to how to order it.

bob g

SteveU.

Hi All
Well after years if re-reminding me by Mobile Bob I did contact GeorgeB. and get one if the few re-stocked Bill Rogers "Home Power Producer's Guide To Electrical Reality" book.
Amazingly good. NOW I finally have an understandable useable explaination to this Power Factor thing.
Plus a reasonable working thoery for the ST head excitation Z winding. Plus, plus, plus .  .  .  .
And even a picture of one of the very few wooden skid Listeriod could be a NO welded system mounting I've seen other than the one I made up. [ Edit: I was wrong on the wood - deep web internal metal channel rails painted a brownish/gray.]
BillR's writing style is great, makes you sit right on his shoulder, listening, seeing and smelling the adventure as he experiences them.

So you fellows been holding back waiting for a copy to show up on Amazon  .   .   .    .  don't be holding your breaths. This is obviously a limited run of a self-published book.
Anyone with one of these books going to be hanging on it "until pried from my cold dead hand(s)".

Thanks GeorgeB for sponsoring and offering this.
Thanks BobG. for the kick in the butt reminder to gitter'done.
Thanks BruceM for this book recommendation.

Steve Unruh

"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Or do without."
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.

mobile_bob

thanks for the heads up Steve

one of the reasons for the recent poll is i am trying to prod Bill into writing a 2nd volume.

we need more from him and others on a variety of subjects in my opinion.

in any event Bill's book is a welcome addition to the diy'ers personal library.

bob g

deeiche

I'm another one who just bought the book after seeing they were available again.

thanks again for the pointer to it

LowGear

OK!  Now that we know how we're ready for the next phase.  Getting permission from the utility moguls to let our wire touch their wire.

I ask again.  Anyone know of someone doing this all above board?

Casey

SteveU.

Hey Casey
Man you know this is a "Don't ask. Don't tell" area.
Nope don't know of a single case west side PNW "locally" of any private individual made it past the $$,$$$ permitting, certified engineered, multiple inspection hurdles the Public Power and Private Power companies throw up here and legally doing this. Federal law or not. They do not want our power input, and our potential problems in their mix. I have seen fellows spending 100's of thousands of dollars now with personal solar and wind trying. Power company/large user/Fed hog trough 'Demo" systems yes. In point of fact this "law", meter reader labor costs, druggie grow and cooker lab operations has caused them to go big time into the telemetric, no spinning back electronic meter heads. We were switched out last year.
My Belgium brother-in-law says grid-tie WAS promoted and available for subsidized solar Only (he has it) but new signups no longer being allowed  due to seasonal oversupply problems. Surprised me they are grid 80% big Nuke Plants there. Not something like NG turbines you can more readily spool-up and cut in and out.

So M.Bob be real interesting to see if in the last 7 years Bill Rogers been testing induction motor generating for stand-a-lone systems and willing to publish about it. I do know of two different woodgassers YouTube claiming to be doing off-grid induction motor generating now. They are not engineers so . . . how safe? how sound? what are the problems? what are the work-a-round solutions to make it controllable, effective and safe?

Regards
Wetside Washington State Steve Unruh

"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Or do without."
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.