News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Harbor Freight generator

Started by WGB, December 15, 2009, 04:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGB

rcavictim

That is certainly an attractive price for the claimed power level.  Has anyone owned one of these and if so what was your experience with it?

They look to be just the right size and weight to fit under a Christmas tree.  :)

WGB, I found the subject of your post confusing by calling this a HF generator.  In my technical lexicon this means High Frequency.  Well of course I just had to look!   ;D  Being a Canadian we dont have Harbor Freight stores up here so the abbreviation is not on the tip of my tongue.  In this case let us hope the acronym HF does not stand for High Failure rate.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

WGB

Quote from: rcavictim on December 16, 2009, 04:06:17 AM
That is certainly an attractive price for the claimed power level.  Has anyone owned one of these and if so what was your experience with it?

They look to be just the right size and weight to fit under a Christmas tree.  :)

WGB, I found the subject of your post confusing by calling this a HF generator.  In my technical lexicon this means High Frequency.  Well of course I just had to look!   ;D  Being a Canadian we dont have Harbor Freight stores up here so the abbreviation is not on the tip of my tongue.  In this case let us hope the acronym HF does not stand for High Failure rate.

Good point, one of the other forums I frequent, Harbor Freight , HF, is the go to place for cheap stuff.
My assumption that everyone would know HF was based on my experience there.
I was going to try one of their generators but then I went with Voltmaster per Veggies suggestion.
I'll see if I can change the name.

mike90045

HF = Horrible Freight (........but durn cheap)

WGB

Quote from: mike90045 on December 17, 2009, 09:18:54 AM

I'm a Snap-on, high end sort of guy.
I do have some Harbor Freight stuff for one time use or if I think it will get trashed jobs.
I've had good luck with most, you usually can tell up front if it worth a darn.

BioHazard

Quote from: mike90045 on December 17, 2009, 09:18:54 AM
Say what you want about their stuff, but their return policy is EXCELLENT! If it breaks...they will replace it. Most things come with either a 90 day or 1 year warranty. I bought a cheap air compressor from them and the additional 2 year warranty for $15 - so far two air compressors have broken, and, HF gave me two new ones with a smile. Even loaded 'em for me.

If I were to buy this gen head I'd probably get the extra warranty too. HF is good, they just have poor quality control. If you get "a bad one", it's usually obvious right away and you can get it replaced. Something good, if it works for a while, will usually last with light duty useage. Honestly I've broken more name brand tools than I have harbor freight stuff...and always get much worse warranty/return service.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

Crofter

Sometimes it is not worth the aggravation! I had a fellow give me a cheque and said that if it was "no good" he would make me out another one.

A lot of the offshore stuff is hit and miss on quality especially items that depends on heat treatment or critical threads. You dont always get what you pay for, but if any story seems too good to be true it probably is!
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

vdubnut62

I have had better than average luck with stuff from Harbor Freight....especially for the price, I mean where else can you buy a 48" pipe wrench for
$25? Unless I put a really long cheater pipe on it I will never break it. also got a HB 6.5 engine on my Troy-Bilt, the Tecumseh gave out and parts were not available, it runs better than the OEM engine.
As long as you don't expect $300 worth of value out of a $30 item, then you are ahead of the game.
BUT I wouldn't bet my lungs on a HB  $300 3600rpm 2 pole head lasting forever, or even as long as the average ST 1800 rpm head.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LincTex

This guy added a thrust bearing to one for vertical operation. Gives a lot of good pictures inside:

http://www.krawlr.com/HFgen/HFgen.htm

Metro 6-1 from Sam Crosby, 2007
Chang Chai 1110 - 18 HP

lowspeedlife

I believe krawlr frequents the forum some times dosen't he? He had some pics of the genset he made with that head on here, or was it the LEF?

Scott R.

Glad to see you have control of your account again LincTex!!!
Old Iron For A New Age

LowGear

HF Generator     $300

Thrust Washer     $35

Machine Work    $325

MTBF                Priceless