News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

50 to 60 Hz Generator Conversion????

Started by Apogee, November 29, 2009, 12:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apogee

What would be involved to switch a factory 50 Hz unit to 60 Hz?

It's a brushless Australian model so is built for native 240 volt, 50 Hz.  

Would it be as easy as simply speeding the engine up????

Why would I be considering this?  Because it's a brand name diesel with almost no time on it that may be able to be acquired for a good price...   ;)

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

dubbleUJay

I think you can just speed it up Steve, you'll just have to check your voltage and adjust it accordingly. (If its adjustable and not fixed BTW)
I know that people use 110Vac @ 60Hz in the US and here by me and a few other places 220-240Vac 50Hz, but do you guys also have 240Vac@ 60Hz?
dubbleUJay
Lister  - AK - CS6/1 - D - G1 - LR1 -
http://tinyurl.com/My-Listers

rcavictim

Steve,

dubbleUjay is right.  You can re-adjust the engine speed up from 1500 RPM to 1800 (assuming this is a directly driven 4-pole alternator).  If the system has a field excitation control or AVR this will have to be adjusted downwards to reduce the output voltage which will otherwise also rise with rotation rate.

The old standard of 110 volts @ 60 Hz in North America seen in the 1950's has crept higher in years since.  Our domestic mains voltages are now nominally 120 volts @ 60 Hz.  In the breaker panel the voltage of split phase 240 volts will be 120-0-120.  This increase in mains voltage puts stress on old appliances like vacuum tube amplifiers and other forms of entertainment electronics designed for 110 volt mains.  On the plus side it puts more voltage at the outlet into a heavy load despite the inadequate (IMO) code practise of using AWG #14 copper wire size in 15 amp circuit residential wiring.  IMO outlets should all be wired back to the panel with heavier #12 AWG.  If you have a 120 volt plug in window shaker style air conditioner they often will not get enough power due to I^2R losses through a long distance to the mains panel with existing #14 wire and will blow the fuse/breaker with high locked rotor amps rather than start.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

dubbleUJay

Thanks for the explanation rcavictim.
I've always been under the impression that the USA/Canada was all 110(120)Vac 60hz, UK & ZA 220(240)Vac 50hz
Most imported stuff here has those for specs on the supply inputs, either with a switch to select & some switch-mode PSU does it automatically.
I've never heard about 220(240) at 60hz

I don't know the wire sizes your referring to offhand, but all our stuff is wired like this and I stand to correction, but:
1.5mm for light circuits (10-15A breaker)
2.5mm for 15A plug circuits (20-30A breaker)
4mm for Electric Stove, Geyser & 30A outlets (30-40A breakers)
All 220Vac at 50Hz

Does anyone have a look-up or cross reference table for the various sizes of wires with Square mm, AWG and the other one that I cannot recall now?  :-[
Maybe post it in the white paper area as that's something we all need from time to time!
dubbleUJay
Lister  - AK - CS6/1 - D - G1 - LR1 -
http://tinyurl.com/My-Listers

Apogee

Thanks guys,

I appreciate the input.

I've also just verified from user manuals that they simply set the governor for higher speed.

Now if it can just be acquired for the right price...

Thanks again,

Steve