News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Hand wilnding field coil.

Started by john11139, October 17, 2012, 10:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john11139

Is there a web site or can any one give me any advice and information on hand winding a filed coil.  I have a Leroy-Somer 8.5 kw generator that has a burnt field coil.  No replacement part from Leroy-Somer.  Really dont want to replace it with a universal gen head.  What would I get into if I tried to hand wind it? Is it possible, any tips.  I took it to two electric motor rewinders and they said they couldnt do it.  I did drop it off at another rebuild shop in Cols. Oh. this morning.  The fellow who determines if they could do it or not and how much was not there today so I left it.  I am expecting the worst and may have to try and rewind it myself. I have seen some old timers do it but they are all gone to the great beyound.  I had one hand wind a 3hp air compressor motor for me over 30 years ago and it is still working better than new.

SteveU.

Hey John
Here is a currently available book re-print to get you started:
"Armature Winding and Motor Repair"
by Daniel H. Brayner
ISBN 0-917914-38-4
published by;
Lindsay Publications, Inc.
PO Box 12
Bradley IL 60915-0012
This is part of their Lost Technology Series

Regards
Steve Unruh

"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Or do without."
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.

Tom Reed

I'm looking at a similar situation in a Miller 1E welder that has an open circuit on the field winding. Unfortunately the engine needed rebuilding before the problem with field winding was discovered. It actually measured good and put out power for about 15 sec before it opened. Hopefully I can find a bad connection and it's not internally shorted.

I believe wire size and number of turns is the main issue. Did the motor shops say why they couldn't do it?
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Thob

That book is available on Google books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=-rhCAAAAIAAJ&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

You can even download the PDF if you want.

(I'm off to read for a while...)

Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

highwater

Quote from: SteveU. on October 17, 2012, 10:43:11 AM
Hey John
Here is a currently available book re-print to get you started:
"Armature Winding and Motor Repair"
by Daniel H. Brayner
ISBN 0-917914-38-4
published by;
Lindsay Publications, Inc.
PO Box 12
Bradley IL 60915-0012
This is part of their Lost Technology Series

Regards
Steve Unruh

And the catalog I got just today from Lindsay indicates:

This is the last catalog.
He is retireing.
No orders taken after Feb 28 2013

Randall

john11139

Thanks alot fellows for the information. "ask and you shall receive".  Again thanks.