we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

3 phase induction motor as DC charger

Started by Tom Reed, October 06, 2011, 12:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glort

Quote from: Dualfuel on January 06, 2014, 12:54:25 PM
Dear Tom,
Before I had generators...I simply routed legs from the three phase induction motor into the fuse box and ran the house directly. I had a fluke meter to set the engine governor to the right hertz, then arranged the capacitors to make the correct voltage. It was a limited but reliable system that cost $15 with no electronics.
I still have some 10hp GEs (oldsters with grease boxes) tucked away, for the "ya never know" times.
Nowadays, I would try the kill-a-watt meter to set the hertz and caps.
BPJ

How did you go with controlling the output with varying loads kicking in and out? Did you just run something like a set number of Lightbulbs or other fixed and constant loads?
My largest motor is a 5.5 Hp and like everything else I have read, I get significant variation in output with any variation in load.  Running in C2C config is better but still variable.

Dualfuel

Dear Glort,
I never used C2C. Like I said much earlier...I simply lay out the caps in the same pattern as the motor, Wye motors were best because I could pick out a 120v leg, (not your issue, there, I suppose.) A set of caps was configured for each voltage. I tried to keep everything equal but....well, turns out it wasn't rocket science, not with a big motor.
So with three legs, I would have the washing machine on one, the lights on another, and the third would up being devoted to powering an electric heating system for the fuel...
can't find the picture of it....prolly on another laptop...

glort

Hmm,  Normally I run my setup in delta  as with the pulleys which are fixed on my Diesel and have defeated all Pullers I have been able to lay my hands on so far on the induction motor mean I have to rev the engine very hard to run in Wye.
I do have another 10 Hp motor up the shed that is brand new so I might drag that out. I have a pulley that fits that which would give a 1:1 ratio so I'll try that and see if I get more stability.

A bigger induction motor like yours may be a good part of the answer as well but they are not as easy to get here as 4- 5.5Kw units.
I'll keep looking though.

I have seen a few 20-50 Kw Motors lately going cheap which I'd love to hook up to my Mercedes engine but then I wonder what the hell I would do with all that power?
-THEROTECIALY-  of course,  ::) I could always run a 50A Circuit back to the switchboard and back feed my entire power bill in a day.*   ;D

I have looked and emailed companies for a proper induction motor controller but so far have drawn a blank slate there.

* Only after having every saftey devise known to man installed by a qualified Tradesman and complying with every regulation ever cooked up and the blessing of the electrical utility and the pope and Dali Lama.