Gen-head that fits onto a standard 3/4" shaft?

Started by BioHazard, June 12, 2011, 03:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BioHazard

I'd like to make a very simple generator sort of like this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100662831/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I know that most gen heads like that use a tapered shaft on the engine. Is there such a gen head I can buy that will bolt directly to a small engine with the more standard 3/4" straight keyed shaft? Or do I need to find a tapered crankshaft for my engine? (Briggs 6.5hp)
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

Henry W

I believe they all use tapered shafts.

Good reasons for the tapered shaft are:

1. Centers rotor better.
2. They will not loosen up as easy as a straight shaft.
3. Will allow a more compact design.

Henry

rl71459

This may or may not work for you.... But I have more than once made an adaptor on my lathe that had an I.D. that fits the existing straight shaft and a Tapered O.D. to match the piece to be fitted. Then slit it lengthwise (Saw Cut & Deburr). Then slide this on the shaft against the shoulder then cut off the shaft to length and drill and tap as needed.

If need be the shortening of the shaft can be done while the engine/motor is still assembled by making a
guide sleeve (Via Lathe) to allow concentric drilling and tapping of the shaft.

When assembled, the split sleeve acts as a collet and is self centering when the drawbolt is tightened.

I have done this twice, First one is a 5 hp gas engine to a centrifugal pump for a friend. The other is at work coupling a servo motor to a gearbox. Both are still in use today with no problems after years of operation. YMMV.

Rob

mobile_bob

i have been recently told that the taper is the same as a morse taper #2 or #3 depending on size of genhead
also places like mcmaster/carr sell morse taper stub shafts, which of course  are tapered on one end...

this leaves the other end that could be fitted into a shaft collar which fits onto your 3/4 shaft

you would still have to drill and thread the end of the taper for the draw bolt to attach the genhead but that should be no hill
for a climber.

bob g

Henry W

Is your engine block set up to accept SAE J609A engine adaption plate? If it is than replace the crank that has a J609A taper.
If not I would scrub the idea unless you can find an engine that is. Just to much to invest in. By the time you are done you can buy one already made at a cheaper price.

Is this the aluminum block, aluminum cylinder,  flat head briggs you were talking about one time?

Henry

BioHazard

Quote from: hwew on June 12, 2011, 12:47:12 PM
If not I would scrub the idea unless you can find an engine is. Just to much to invest in.

Is this the aluminum block, aluminum cylinder,  flat head briggs you were talking about one time?

You're probably right...just had an extra engine and what else would I make besides a generator?  ;D I'll look on ebay for a cheap tapered crankshaft.

This is an OHV Briggs Intek engine...I've got a different briggs for every day of the month. :D

Henry W

Are you a Briggs collector? I mean it as a good thing.

I have a friend in Connecticut that has a museum of Moto Mowers with FH and FI OHV Briggs engines from years 1926 and up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYzFJYHR0f0&feature=fvwrel

Henry

BioHazard

Yeah, I probably have 30-40 Briggs engines in various stages of togetherness. Briggs engines have always been my first - the first ones I learned to fix, the first engine I ever owned on my go kart, and of course plenty of Briggs powered lawnmowers as a kid. Believe it or not my very first word was "lawnmower".  ;D I almost became a Briggs mechanic but I'm glad I didn't now that most small engines are considered disposeable.

Too bad Briggs never made any diesels. (except the rebranded overpriced Dihatsu) This is what gave me the idea about a straight keyed shaft gen head, these water pump replacement heads:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_water-pumps+semi-trash-trash-replacement-pump-heads
They have two versions, one that fits a standard 3/4" shaft, and one that fits a normal water pump threaded shaft. Makes me wonder why they bother putting special crankshafts on water pump engines if a standard 3/4" shaft will also work.... ???