News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

ST15/20 shaft too long?

Started by dmarkh, October 02, 2015, 08:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmarkh

Never mind guys, I think I've got it. I went back and read some of the advice. And spinning the shaft as I cut makes all the difference in the world. I'm already about 3/4" into it all the way around. This is gonna work.

Mark 

Tom Reed

A good bi-metal blade in a hack saw will do the job.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

dmarkh

Well once I let it spin, it went pretty fast. Got a nice clean cut too. For most of it, it spun itself with the force of the blade spinning. I just raised it off the chop saw base a hair so there was nothing preventing it from spinning. I didn't have to manually start spinning until there was about 1/4" left. It would have only taken a couple of minutes but I kept stopping to cool it down with ice water in a rag. I'm happy. Now to install it where my ST10 was.

I was very surprised to find a stainless shaft on this of iron.

Mark

vdubnut62

The stainless shaft seems odd to me too. I guess "run what ya brung" applies?  I'm gonna check my st12 just 4 grins and see what it has.
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

dmarkh

It must be cheap low grade stuff because I do have a real magnet here at the house that does stick to it. The magnet I used at work was just a flexible strip magnet that just fell off it. This is how i cut it.

dmarkh

It's mounted, It's going to fit under the enclosure, and I think it's aligned  properly. That was fun.

vdubnut62

Lookin' good. ;D Glad you got it sorted out, and no stainless in my st12.
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

dmarkh

Quote from: vdubnut62 on February 26, 2016, 08:02:00 AM
Lookin' good. ;D Glad you got it sorted out, and no stainless in my st12.
Ron.

I was mistaken about the stainless. Bad magnet at work? Here at home they stick to it just fine.

Mark