News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

refrigeration parts and info source

Started by mobile_bob, September 26, 2009, 06:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

i came across these folks several years ago, they are really pretty good at supporting DIY refrigeration

rparts.com

they sell all sorts of parts, instruction manuals, tools and other info for DIY refrigeration.

fwiw

bob g

Chris

I thought I would post something here, as this thread seems to be getting cold. No pun intended.

Quite a few years ago, about 26 years ago, I tried to get a cold plate system going again on one of the outter Cays here in Abaco, Bahamas. I did not have much luck with it, It had worked at one time,I am not a refridgeration guy, but have had good luck fixing most mechanical things.
The system was quite simple. It was A BIG insulated top loading ice box (4'X4'X8')made out of plywood inside and out, sandwiched around, I think 6 inch styofoam. On the bottom of the box was an aluminium or stainless steel tank about 3'X6'x about 6". Inside the tank, I was told where coils of copper tubing. (May be the tank was stainless), inside the tank. The tank was filled with antifreeze. On the high preasure side was an adjustable expansion value, Looked like the kind you see on home A/C units. The compressor, whick looked like a York? car A/C unit, was belt drive by an electric motor, I think two or three horse power. The electric motor was powered by an old SOM lister 8/1, that also powered the home. We did get it to cool a little, but the electric motor would bog down as soon as we thought we had liked the problem. After friggin with it, adjusting the expansion valve and feron pressure, for what seemed like weeks and using up a tank of freon 12 we gave up.

The system was modeled after cold plate freezes used by fishermen on their crawfishing (Florida lobster) mother boat.

The unit probably would have worked if the compreesor had been driven of the Lister and not by the electric motor.

I thought I would most the story as it might give someone some ideas.

Cold plate, engine driven, holding systems are quite common on sail boats.

As for me right now, I have a Servel propane refrigerator/freezer. Its a bit small, but works very well, even in the heat of summer.

Regards,

Chris woomp woomp.

WGB

Quote from: Chris on November 23, 2009, 06:03:13 AM
I thought I would post something here, as this thread seems to be getting cold. No pun intended.

Quite a few years ago, about 26 years ago, I tried to get a cold plate system going again on one of the outter Cays here in Abaco, Bahamas. I did not have much luck with it, It had worked at one time,I am not a refridgeration guy, but have had good luck fixing most mechanical things.
The system was quite simple. It was A BIG insulated top loading ice box (4'X4'X8')made out of plywood inside and out, sandwiched around, I think 6 inch styofoam. On the bottom of the box was an aluminium or stainless steel tank about 3'X6'x about 6". Inside the tank, I was told where coils of copper tubing. (May be the tank was stainless), inside the tank. The tank was filled with antifreeze. On the high preasure side was an adjustable expansion value, Looked like the kind you see on home A/C units. The compressor, whick looked like a York? car A/C unit, was belt drive by an electric motor, I think two or three horse power. The electric motor was powered by an old SOM lister 8/1, that also powered the home. We did get it to cool a little, but the electric motor would bog down as soon as we thought we had liked the problem. After friggin with it, adjusting the expansion valve and feron pressure, for what seemed like weeks and using up a tank of freon 12 we gave up.

The system was modeled after cold plate freezes used by fishermen on their crawfishing (Florida lobster) mother boat.

The unit probably would have worked if the compreesor had been driven of the Lister and not by the electric motor.

I thought I would most the story as it might give someone some ideas.

Cold plate, engine driven, holding systems are quite common on sail boats.

As for me right now, I have a Servel propane refrigerator/freezer. Its a bit small, but works very well, even in the heat of summer.

Regards,

Chris woomp woomp.

Well, Chris I would be the guy dropping the ball.
I've been more involved with getting info for my Chinese diesel!

That is a common system.
In the Midwest USA we have a company called Swans ice cream, they use to use eutectic plates in the ceiling of their delivery trucks.
At one time they just run a compressor at the terminal all night, then the eutectic plates kept the box at freezing temp all day.
Not sure what they do now.
Also a lot of systems used brine for the liquid medium.

We have got away from open drive systems.
At one time everything was done that way.
For us engine guys that would be the way to go!
I know of a system that uses no power.
It builds a huge block of ice in a well insulated room that will carry your refrigerated items all summer.
No frozen food storage though.
I'll dig it out and post that article.

I will do better to promote this section!

Chris

Hey no problem. If I come across some info or links to cold plate systems I will post here. I did have, at one time, a do it yourself booklet for cold plate systems, R12. If I come across it I will copy and post. I don't think it was copy protected.

Chris

mobile_bob

hey Chris:

did you ever find the pamplet/book on the cold plate system?

i got more than a passing interest in the technology

thought i would ck to see if you found it.

bob g

Chris

Bob,
sorry I have not looked for it yet. I think it is storage and just have not gotten around to digging into my container for a look. The container is a mess. Stuff just piled into it waiting for aroundtoit day.

Chris

WGB

DRDEATH

This topic has been quiet for awhile. I am more than intrested in changing my AC needs from electric to gas or a heat source. I am not a gensus so I need guidence to a KISS method. I have seen several post but most of it is over my head I think. I suppose it becomes easier if it is in front of you. Mike
As long as Breast Cancer Kills, I will support the battle. Please help support your local chapters.

mobile_bob

sadly www.rparts.com went out of business at the end of last month, last i heard they were looking for a buyer
but in this economy i doubt it will happen.

they were a great resource for refrigeration info and parts

bob g

DRDEATH

Bob I will have to have something different next summer for AC. I want to lean towards something that I can run from power I am already producing from the generator which is supplying electricty. I believe you mentioned using the exhaust to run I guess it is called a chiller which it would be similar to a natural gas A/C unit. It was brought up that this would not run long due to soot build up from the exhaust. I would like to be inovative enough to build this myself but I do not completly understand the whole idea. You also mentioned using an automotive compressor and run it off the engine that is already runing. I liked that idea but I still am not sure what other items I would need to make it work for a house. I hope to have my SOM up and runnning by next spring. All of the electrical problems can be worked out it just wont be powerfull enough to run an electric A/C. Beside the exhaust heat might as well be used for something beside heating up a storage area for the water to run through before it gets to the hot water tank. Stuff to do with the human body I seem to be fine at. It is other things I just need guidence with. Thanks, Mike
As long as Breast Cancer Kills, I will support the battle. Please help support your local chapters.

injin man

Quote from: mobile_bob on July 22, 2010, 09:57:27 PM
sadly www.rparts.com went out of business at the end of last month, last i heard they were looking for a buyer
but in this economy i doubt it will happen.

they were a great resource for refrigeration info and parts

bob g

Looks as if this outfit is still in business and is affiliated with
an another company in the marine AC/Refrigeration biz.
Great line of stuff for AE DIY crowd.