News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Refrigerant compatibility

Started by BioHazard, May 30, 2011, 10:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BioHazard

I'm experimenting with a 10k BTU window air conditioner to make it water cooled and I'm going to have to recharge the refrigerant. It says on the side the original refrigerant is R-22, but does that mean it's the only thing I can use? What is the difference between commonly available refrigerants? I know R-12 is "bad" but can still be found, can I use that, and would it work better? Or for that matter can I use R-134A meant for car A/C systems?
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

WGB

Look up Hotshot brand.
http://www.icorinternational.com/findreplacement.php

No metering device or oil change needed to replace R-22, thats a big deal.
One thing is A/C in a high backpressure unit, depending on how cool you want your water you might have a few issues.

gregger2k

If you are a bit adventurous straight propane is a good match for replacing R22. http://autorefrigerants.com/22a.htm
It's pressures are very similar to R22 and it is more efficient. It is a direct replacement.
I replaced the R12 in my Chevy truck with a 70% propane 30% butane mixture and it worked great.
Isobutane is a better single component replacement for R12 though but it is harder to find.

Europe has been using hydrocarbon refdridgerants for a while in there fridges and it is quite safe. GE has even applied for aproval for use in the US http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/index.cfm/go/news.display/id/17030

I think it is not expensive enough for big business to make money on so they fight approval. Hydrocarbon refrigerants are  enviro-friendly with no ozone depleting and minimal global warming potential. It breaks down in the atmosphere in 6 montha vs 12 something years for R134a.

Greg

mike90045

Quote from: gregger2k on May 31, 2011, 08:30:05 AM
If you are a bit adventurous straight propane is a good match for replacing R22. ....

Hydrocarbon refrigerants are  enviro-friendly with no ozone depleting and minimal global warming potential. It breaks down in the atmosphere in 6 montha vs 12 something years for R134a.

So, I guess you can still look for a leak with a match ?  The R-22 would put out a flame, I guess propane/butane will enhance the flame ?

BioHazard

Interesting...I've heard about people experimenting with propane refrigerant but I always have the feeling in the back of my mind something is going to blow up. Then again I'm not scared to make my own propane tanks... ;D ::)

What is it exactly that makes a "10,000 BTU" air conditioner 10,000 BTUs? What is the limiting factor? Is it the refrigerant? The compressor? Evaporator/condenser? If I used a refrigerant that claims to be "more efficient", does that mean I'm getting more than 10k BTUs?

I'm actually modifying it so the hot side is cooled with creek water, not making cold water.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

Tom Reed

In a well designed A/C system the components are matched, but the primary limit is the compressor HP.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

billswan

Quote from: gregger2k on May 31, 2011, 08:30:05 AM
If you are a bit adventurous straight propane is a good match for replacing R22. http://autorefrigerants.com/22a.htm
It's pressures are very similar to R22 and it is more efficient. It is a direct replacement.
I replaced the R12 in my Chevy truck with a 70% propane 30% butane mixture and it worked great.
Isobutane is a better single component replacement for R12 though but it is harder to find.

Europe has been using hydrocarbon refdridgerants for a while in there fridges and it is quite safe. GE has even applied for aproval for use in the US http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/index.cfm/go/news.display/id/17030

I think it is not expensive enough for big business to make money on so they fight approval. Hydrocarbon refrigerants are  enviro-friendly with no ozone depleting and minimal global warming potential. It breaks down in the atmosphere in 6 montha vs 12 something years for R134a.

Greg

Yup I am using it in 2 older farm tractors and it works fine.

And yes in my central air in my house it has been in use for about 10 years and no big booms or flash fires.

Probably should not admit that but..............

Now guys be careful just because I am making it work does not mean every one will have no problems.
I just might be classified as adventurous  :o
Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

gregger2k

I'm glad I am not the only one ::)
Greg

TimSR2

All my cars have the RedTek r12A propane/butane/isobutane mix in them for  years now with no problems.

The flammability issue is a red herring ....  all refrigerant gases are full of aerated refrigeration oil and will produce explosive gas if vented!  Might as well just use HC coolants, easier on the environment and a fraction of the price. Dupont may not be happy.....  ;-)

mobile_bob

if your going to use propane, be sure to use a new drier
garden variety propane for the grill will surely refrigerate just fine, but it is not
generally dry enough to keep from iceing up the expansion valve or tube

there is often times a bit of moisture that gets into the mix, which is really hard on internal parts of
an A/C system.

so i have heard, no personal experience with the use of propane.

bob g