News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

refrigerant shelf life

Started by rl71459, May 30, 2011, 06:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rl71459

Hi All

I just purchased an old unused bottle of r12. After I received it I had this sinking feeling, How do I know if its the real thing? Can it be tested?

It's in the old style valveless tank. (Shraeder valve)

Rob

BioHazard

Is it a one time use type container? If so then I'm sure it's fine...it doesn't have a "shelf life", but if somebody put the wrong type of refrigerant in your tank I have no idea....
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

WGB

You can check the tank pressure and use a temp/ pressure chart to see if your getting the right pressure and temp!
http://www.downriversupply.com/PDFs/p_t_chart.pdf
I don't think there is a shelf life.

rl71459

Thank You

Thats just what I needed.

Rob

rl71459

Hi Everyone
I will try to make this short. I thought I got a screaming deal on a bottle of r12 on ebay. My old benz really likes r12 better than 134... anyway when I bought my benz about 3.5 years ago the guy I got it from had spliced an hose in the system... It leaked... So I pulled it apart and had the parts store fix it with an appropriate fitting. While apart I replaced the drier and switchs pumped down the system and injected lube, sealant, and charged with R12. it has worked great until NOW. 

Since the above work had been done it has worked great. Although I did need to top it off every other year. Well I had used all my old tank up so... Anyway when I topped it with my new Tank the compressor started rattling! and the cold air stopped! then the compressor stopped! DAMN! (INSTANT PISSED!) So just to be sure... I pumped it down again and recharged it. same results! (MORE PISSED!) and out of refrigerant! Grrrrr!

So In desperation.... So I Pumped it down again and tried the Propane thing. Well the compressor now sounds good and the system seems OK now, But no Cold Air yet.... (A Little less pissed now)

Soooo... What's next? The Hi Lo press now looks normal. Do I need a Higher charge with the propane?
Any Thoughts?

Rob

gregger2k

Straight propane pressures are to high for a R12 auto. Propane matches well with R22 not R12.
If you don't have the facilities to mix Butane or isobutane with propane you are better off buying it premixed.
I think I remember that 70%propane 30%butane is about right. It takes less than half by weight for a full charge. Just google to be safe.

Straight propane pressures will definitely be to high.

some reading  http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=198601
or search eBay for R12a

Greg

rcavictim

Propane used as a refrigerant is very close to the specs of R22.  It is very different than R12.  I put propane in a truck that required R12 once but had lost enough refrigerant from a slow leak that the pressure switch had dropped off preventing the compressor from starting.  It made cool air but not the same cold as with R12.  I didn't spend a lot of time fine tuning the pressure vs. cold air produced.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.